Different model MBP, same hard drive - is it possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madfiddler, Mar 12, 2011.

1. madfiddler macrumors newbie

I had an accident with my 15" 2.4ghz MBP, and am about to replace it with a 2md hand 17" 2.8 unibody MBP.

I want to put my original hard drive, which has Snow Leopard installed, in to the new machine, but have no idea whether you can do this sort of thing with a Mac considering the hardware will be different - especially the video card.

If not, I do have Time Machine over wireless, but my original HD is 7200rpm compared to the 5400rpm one in the new machine.

Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks,

m

2. Colonel-Panic, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Colonel-Panic macrumors newbie

In short, yes... That is possible.

Macs don't tie OS installs to specific hardware configs the way Windows does.

The only exception is PPC installs vs. Intel installs.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Right now, you'll have to reinstall the OS for it to work, as 10.6.7 isn't out yet, which would be freely movable between old and new systems, due to 10.6.6 not having the drivers to support the new hardware, which will be added in 10.6.7 for everyone.

This isn't too painful to do though, and doesn't disrupt anything installed.

4. madfiddler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the replies. This new one is still 18 months old, so the drivers should be part of 10.6.6

Giving it a go now :)

m

5. madfiddler thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything went swimmingly. OS seems a tad slow on bootup, but it was the same in the old MBP, but awesome that this just worked out of the box so to speak :)