Different photos colors with Safari on iPhone

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by utnalove, Jun 29, 2011.

1. utnalove macrumors newbie

Hello, when I open the site with every PC browser, the photos look good.

However when I open some pages with the iPhone, the photos look blue or yellow.

Here is an example: the photos on this page look well on iPhone.

The photos on this other page look blue in my phone.

For both those 2 cases I made the photos with same image settings and I used for both of them FastStone image resizer to resize the pictures and add a wotermark...but they look different!

Anybody knows where is the problem?

2. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

The first example looks fine, the second is has a red hue on my iPad.

My suggestion for color is to ensure that your monitor is properly calibrated when working on the photos, then make sure that you have embeded a web safe color profile in your images to ensure that any color aware browsers will faithfully reproduce the proper colors.

3. utnalove thread starter macrumors newbie

That's really strange... because yesterday after posting this post I found the difference.

The first image was saved in YCbCr
    The second image was saved in RGB

Yesterday I re-converted the second one to YCbCr

Now they have the same settings - I confirmed it with the EXIF reader.
    The problem in my iphone was resolved... but I can see your ipad still sees it with a different hue :/

Could you please double check? maybe clear the cache?

4. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

they are not significantly different, however, if your profiles are the same and they are embedded, the difference in color is most likely a white-balance issue in your images. The second set carry a reddish hue as they look warmer in white balance than the first set. Again, they are not very far off from each other.

5. utnalove thread starter macrumors newbie

my friend still sees the second one with a blue hue instead of red on an iphone.
    But on my iphone 1 and iphone 4 it looks fine :/

Do you know how I can embed a color profile via Windows?
    From the original photo I need to:

• resize (based on one side) the photo to 512px width (the heigh will be automatically chosen)
    • add the png watermark in the bottom left

FastStone image resizer does it fine... but it doesn't embed a color profile...

6. utnalove thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, very interesting!
    I have resized the images using different color formats:

• YCbCrKrK
    • YCbCrKr
    • CMYK
    • RGB

In my iPhone I see the following:
    • YCbCrKrK - is black :)
    • YCbCrKr - looks fine
    • CMYK - looks fine
    • RGB - has a blue hue

Please look at the attached screenshots...
    Do you have the same behavior in your iPad? I posted those test images here.

Attached Files:

7. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

they all look different. My suggestion would be to change to RGB or sRGB in your workflow and proof in those color spaces. Then when saving, make sure to embed that color profile in the image. I am not sure the settings in your program, but you can easily do it in Photoshop.

The big thing is to color manage your entire workflow in your set color profile so you can proof the colors before they are finalized.

8. utnalove, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011

utnalove thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know some software other than photoshop that allows me to add the color profile to the images and to batch resize + add a watermark?

how do I know if an image has a color profile embedded and if yes which one?

I have analized/compared the YCbCrKr and RGB versions of those pictures with photoMe, but I didn't find any difference!

As color space they both seem to have sRGB

9. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

You can try aperture, lightroom, bibble 5, phase one pro, etc. They all have color managed workflows.

10. chown33, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

chown33 macrumors 604

The blue-hued examples look like much more than just a problem with blue hue or white balance. They look like the red and blue channels got swapped. And if you take an RGB image and interpret it as BGR (swap the order of the color triples), that's exactly what you get.

As a reference, the solid red flower the girl is holding is solid blue, yet the gray skirt and white blouse are unaffected. So the problem isn't white-balance, otherwise the whites and grays would be more wrong.

I suspect something isn't writing or reading an RGB or BGR image correctly. Hard to say where the problem is without looking at the bytes of the actual image, or making a test image with a color chart.