different pict placement for IE, safari, firefox-canceled

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, Mar 23, 2009.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

cancel this..i just redid the problem area from the beginning..the code was too messy to fix)

....so what did i do wrong?..the three picts on the right have different placements on each of the main browsers...

i used the relative placement, and these are are IDs so there is no connection to the rest of the site....solution anyone

perhaps the placement of the divs within the code?--tried but i couldnt make that work. i'm avoiding "absolute placement" as i understand that this is to be avoided.

http://www.spinnerdesign.co.il/recentprojects.html

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Absolute placement might best be avoided when applied to all content div's in a page as it's overkill and if the user disables stylesheets things can get confusing, but not for stationary elements such as a header, masthead or whatever. Meaning, for a few major elements of a page where placement is key absolute is just fine. Matter of fact, it's also used in a few CSS tricks to resolve layout issues between browsers. So don't dismiss absolute positioning completely.

You should be using div's for layout, learning how to use float, how to align within and between elements and when to use absolute vs. relative positioning for such purposes.

See the sticky topic I posted "Helpful links for web design..." and read all the relevant links in the CSS section there.

-jim