Different prices for same 15 inch MBP config?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trehtenm, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Trehtenm macrumors newbie

Newbie here - this may already be an answered question but I couldn't find a thread on it.

I must be missing something when looking at MBP 15 inch configurations and prices so I would appreciate any help.

Simply put, there are two ways to construct a 15" MBP with the 2.9 GHz upgrade and 512 GB storage:

1. Start with 2.7/512 configuration and add upgrade to 2.9 GHz. So, $2799+ $200 = $2999
    2. Start with 2.6/256 configuration and add upgrade to 2.9 GHz and upgrade to 512 GB. So $2399 + $300 + $200 = $2899

Why do the prices differ? Both are allowed for order in the Apple Store at these different prices. Is option 2 exactly the same machine as option 1 or is it put together from a different base and maybe less efficiently constructed? Am I missing something else?

Thx.

2. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

You're missing the video card configuration. The 2.7/512 configuration comes with a Radeon 455, while the base model (2.6/256) has a Radeon 450.

3. GCMD macrumors regular

4. Roopster macrumors newbie

The uk business store stiffed me on this when I ordered by phone! I asked for the top speed 15" machine, with 16GB and 1TB ssd. When the order confirmation came I noticed the graphics card said 450, rather than 455 that I had seen on the website. I called the agent and he told me it was just a typo and it would be the same machine as I had been looking at online. I didn't realise you could boost the lower spec model to the higher processor as I hadn't even clicked on that online. So I assumed the only two graphics options were 455 or 460.
    I've been having lots of problems with my machine so was checking out the system configuration and saw the card was in fact the 450. I'm returning the machine next week anyway because of the other issues but will be complaining about the sales person on the business store...