Different Provider's SIM Cards | Same iPhone 4 | Yea? Nay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pololinguistic, May 22, 2011.

1. pololinguistic macrumors newbie

My employer is still issuing Nokia:eek: as corporate phones and I can't deal with it.

They also use a different carrier than my personal mobile service provider. Both carriers offer the iPhone 4 in my area (Sweden). I thought I could simply take out my personl SIM card and insert the business one.

Not the case.:mad:

I get no service. All else functions (web, apps, etc.) but no data service nor phone calls. My iPhone is Jailbroken for customization reasons and in no need for carrier unlock.

Am I missing a step here?:confused: Do I need to activate the phone as a new one with the business SIM inserted? If that is the case then I would need to activate the phone every time I wanted to switch SIM's.

I just want to avoid two cell phones and be able to switch my SIM card at will.

Am I only dreaming?:apple:

Kindly,

GF
    @pololinguistic

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You need it unlocked. Try calling your carrier, the one you bought the iPhone from and asking them to unlock it. I don't know for sure if they will, but most places outside the US will unlock them for you. Once it's unlocked you can stick your business sim in ad there will be no problem.

3. pololinguistic thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the tip mrkramer.

I called my provider (Telia Sweden) and they gave me a firm 'No', and finger pointed a Apple.

My iPhone 4 is not yet 12 months old and "Apple does not allow us to unlocked before that time since we do it via iTunes" said the pimpled-face teen.

So I taking extra lunches, making the rounds in the city visiting all their stores with the same request.

Three down, 12 to go :)

@pololinguistic

4. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

My iPhone is only 5 months old and it's been unlocked by the carrier and they can do it at any stage. If they are blaming Apple, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If you have an unlocked iPhone then you can switch between different SIMs (from different carriers or the same carrier) without having to sync or activate in iTunes.

You can even change the SIM without rebooting the phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If their policy is not to unlock it untill 12 months later then there's nothing much you can do.
    Call up Apple also but they'd probably tell you the same. Its locked to your carrier the way it is now and wont recognize any other sim but theirs.
    You can use a gevey turbo sim to hardware unlock it till you reach the 1 year and have it officially unlocked.