Different repair costs for same part? (rMBP upper case)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theycallmetc, Aug 8, 2015.

1. theycallmetc macrumors newbie

So far I've had a great love affair with my 2012 rMBP (barring a logic board replacement Apple did for free because of the GPU repair program), but recently the trackpad has been acting up. I took it to the shop and the conclusion was that the trackpad needed replacement (out of warranty), but since the policy is to replace the entire upper case it would cost me around $500 to get it fixed (new keyboard, new battery, new trackpad, etc, even though my keyboard and battery are perfectly fine).

I was checking around, and the price to replace the battery is only $200. If the official policy is to replace the entire top case instead of just removing the glued in battery, then how come both repairs have such different prices? Is it possible to have it processed as a battery replacement? I just find the price difference to be ridiculous if in essence both repairs are identical.

2. jlc1978, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I don't think it is glued in. Some triwing screws hold it in. I had that repair done and the battery was replaced because it had bulged and damaged the trackpad, so they replaced it and the upper shell.

3. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

It's definitely glued in on the retina. The tri wing screws are on the cMBP. Check iFixit's teardown.

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I stand corrected. I wonder if Apple simply replaces batteries in them by softening the glue and replacing it, thus the cost difference.