Different Resolutions on Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Onza, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Onza macrumors newbie

I have my 21.5-inch iMac computer screen, and a 32-inch TV screen hooked up via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. My iMac screen is crystal clear, of course, but my 32-inch TV is all fuzzy and has a larger resolution than my iMac screen. Any way to fix this?

2. simsaladimbamba

What native resolution has the TV (manual should help) and what resolution is set in System Preferences > Displays for that external TV?
    Btw, TVs are not a good substitute for a dedicated computer display, which you might just witnessed with the fuzzy image.

3. Onza thread starter macrumors newbie

TVs native resolution is 1024x768 and my iMac's is 1920x1080. Yeaah I think I see a problem there.

4. simsaladimbamba

1024 x 768 is abysmal on 32", I had that on my 12" iBook six years ago.
    You are better off with getting a 150€ 20" display.

5. Jexta macrumors member

Modern TV's usually have rather low native resolutions. As TV is at best broadcast at 1080i this translates to TVs requiring a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 to perform their main duties.

If you have a HD TV, that is not capable of handling full (1080i) HD, then its native resolution may be based on 720p (1280 x 720 pixels).

If you head to System Preferences > Displays, you should see a separate menu appear on the second display, allowing you to set the resolution to whatever you desire. Your TV's native resolution will be the best to look at, but it will always pale in comparison to your Apple LED LCD.