Different resolutions on rMBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darngooddesign, Dec 1, 2012.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

When you change from the default resolution on a regular MBP, things on the screen get fuzzy. Can you adjust to a higher res, like 1600x1200 for example, and will everything be sharp and clear? My objective would be to fit more on the screen.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

anything straying from the default 1440 hidpi mode will be blurrier. on a good note, you can't tell THAT much since its still relatively sharp. but yes, quality will go down (as well as performance if you go to higher hidpi modes)

3. wiznet macrumors regular

I'm struggling with your question: things don't really get that fuzzy, unless they're not retina-ready...

And 1600x1200 doesn't exist on RMBP.. There's 5 different resolutions you can choose from, all of which use all 2880x1800 pixels. There's two lesser than 1440x900, 1440x1900, and two greater. You can pick whatever one suits your fancy.

Picture: http://puu.sh/1wpBt

4. Jack9034 macrumors member

Jack9034

I don't think the OP is referring to the rMBP. They said regular MBP.

5. leman macrumors 604

The whole point of the retina mbp is the resolution independence. You can set it to any resolution you like and it will still look more or less the same than a native screen of that resolution. Plus, with the build-in super sampling it actually looks better than a native screen.

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

I'd like to add that it's just texts that look blurrier at higher than "Best For Retina" resolution.

Images remain just as sharp.

It looks to me like Apple is changing sub-pixel rendering for fonts at HiDPI resolutions, so that fonts are still legible but at the expense of sharpness.

7. wiznet macrumors regular

OP: next time you want to make a thread about a "regular macbook pro" do not use rMBP, as that stands for the retina model.

Sorry for the confusion, title is misleading.

8. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

I meant both but forgot to add rMBP further in the post. The gist is, on a regular MBP if you choose a non stock resolution everything looks fuzzy. On a rMBP, does the text and UI on all the supported resolutions look equally clear and sharp? I said 1600x1200 for example because I don't know what the higher reses are.

9. wiznet macrumors regular

Gotcha, and well the resolution above best for retina is 1680x1050, so you were close. At this resolution, no blurriness. Same with 1920x1200.

For the lower ones, hardly noticeable in the UI. It still looks way better than a non-retina screen even at the lowest one.

10. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

Obviously "Best For Retina", or 1280 x 800 HiDPI.

12. wiznet macrumors regular

^ hence the name.

However, OP, your visual experience will not be lessened by choosing a higher resolution, if you wish to gain more screen real-estate.

I'd recommend just staying with the Best for Retina setting. Everything looks great, an appropriate size.. etc. One thing you can do to free up a bit of space is auto-hide the dock. I would recommend doing that!

13. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

In short, and in my experience, no the resolution is not equally clear and sharp across the board. It may well be that the worst on the RMBP is better than your typical screen, but for anything other than best for retina (the default), on my screen, it looks pretty bad compared to the best for retina option. As another poster mentioned, it pretty much only affects the fonts, i.e. its the writing that appears blurry, but since that is pretty much everywhere for the overwhelming majority of tasks, you will notice it.

14. wiznet macrumors regular

I respectfully disagree, the higher resolutions do not look bad at all.

But as you said, even on the lowest resolution fonts are still more clear than text on a non-retina screen.