Different root passwords

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GoCubsGo, May 25, 2010.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok so I forgot my root password on my iPhone. Using iFile I changed the master.passwd file back to the default password. I then went to mobile terminal and changed the password to something else.

I tried to log into the phone through Fugu and couldn't get in using alpine or Bob (we'll say that is my "new" passoword). I went back to the master.passwd file and redid whatever I was supposed to. Now we're back to using alpine.

Using Fugu I logged in as root using alpine as the password. Before I actually changed the master.passwd file I tried alpine in Fugu and it didn't work. I also tried alpine in mobile terminal and again, "sorry" came up.

After changing the master.passwd file to default alpine I logged in ok through Fugu using Bob. (this is on my Mac). All is well. However, I went into mobile terminal from my phone, typed passwd and used alpine as the "old" password. I was faced with "sorry" (password was obviously wrong). I used my other password (we'll say it is BOB) and it worked fine.

To summarize, to get into my iPhone through Fugu I use one password, to change the password in mobile terminal the old password is being accepted. FTR it should be alpine right now.

Running OS 3.1.2
    Redsn0w jailbreak

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Hmm, this is a weird one. Here's some info that might help tho. Can you cat your master.passwd file? Here's mine where blahblahblah is my pw hashes:

Here's the security on the file as well:
    Is anything on your file different?

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here is the line that I edited:
    root:/:0:0::0:0:System Administrator:/var/root:/bin/sh
    Whatever it said before the initial password change I don't know but reading online I learned that the master.passwd file should show the line to be as noted above.

So yes, it matches yours. I ended up changing the password to alpine via mobile terminal, now they both match but if i change it again in mobile terminal then fugu still wants to use alpine.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Heh, I would edit your post if you are a bit as paranoid as I am as with the hash, it may be possible to get your password. :)

And what about the ownership, etc? If you give a: ls -al /etc/master.passwd command while SSH'd to your device it should hopefully be what I posted before.

5. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is stuff posted online. That is supposed to be the alpine password. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQx5NXgs7Lw

That's why it didn't matter to me, or maybe it should have. :)

But now what's this about ownership? What I have after that command is exactly as yours is.