Different sepc. iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Plusbits, May 4, 2008.

1. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

I'm buying my first iMac tomorrow and have a small question
    Basically, I'd like to upgrade from the default 320Gb HDD to a 500Gb one, but was wondering if I can do this in-store or whether the option is only available via the online store?
    Thanks in advance

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I'm about 85% sure that you can do that online only.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i know this can only be done online for sure. however if you want to do this in store the apple rep will most likely convince you to buy the 500gb prebuilt iMac...

look at the spec of the 500gb iMac, it might be something you want and probably will only work out a little bit more than the upgrade of the 20-inch... A 24 inch screen would be lovely

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Yeah, that 24" display contains a much nicer LCD panel than the 20", not to mention all the real estate. Food for thought...

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The iMac is one heavy SOB, I'd consider just ordering it online anyway, especially if you have to drag it through a shopping centre.

What screen size you getting by the way (just curious).

6. Plusbits thread starter macrumors member

Plusbits

Thanks for the info guys
    I ended up just going for a 20", 2.66GHz, 320GB iMac, but I'm still very happy with it
    Next step is a 750GB external HDD for all of my media, so I probably wouldn't need the 500GB HDD anyway

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not that bad.

Now the old 20" iMac G4 - that was a heavy bastard. All the extra weight they had to put in the base to counter-balance the big display made it pretty hard to lug around.