Different sound/noise of same model CD-drive ibook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cox Orange, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hi,

I have two ibook G4 late 2005. I rarely use the second one's CD-Drive. I used the others some time ago and I remember that it always sounded like a loud fan on full speed (actual case fan was off).
    Now I had both running and recognized that the second's ibook CD-Drive is very quiet, except it has a chirping sound that stops, if I hold my hand above the keyboard (not touching it).

Both are the same
    Modell: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8124
    Version: DB0D (both!)

1. What is the normal sound of a late ibook G4s optical drive (especially that make)
    2. any ideas about the chirping?
    3. can you recommend a quiet one?

Thanks a lot!

2. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

The 2005 models had a slot loading drive. There were only a very few manufacturers that produced such models, especially those with ATA/IDE. All drives are really noisy when running under full speed. Matshita drives were compatible with a Windows tool that could limit the rpm. Don't remember the name of the tool, though.

3. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks! So, maybe the quiet one with the chirping (very high pitched, hard to hear sound), was maybe altered with that windows tool, if both Drives are the exact same model?
    (I upgraded the HDD on one of these, the other had its HDD allready upgraded, so maybe this windows tool was performed, too...)

I have a 15" 1,25GHz PowerBook G4 drive, that is a bit quieter, would that fit?

4. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

I think so. Yes.

The chiming could have other reasons as well. However, it is hard to say which component could be the cause without knowing from where the sound is coming. I am assuming that you used the same CD/DVD for testing?

5. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I did use the same DVD. Would a recording of the sound be of any use?

What strikes me, is that the sound disappears, when I hold my hand above the keyboard, as if it had something to to with magnetism or the like (I am no electrician or physician ;).

6. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Could it be that the mechanical vibrances of the drive causing some feedback on internal components? My iBook G4 had the same problems. I never worried, though. Maybe when you opened the the iBook you have accidently bended some parts inside? These laptops are a pain to open.

7. Cox Orange, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

I do not touch it, I just place the hand above the keyboard, 5cm away from it and the sound stops.

But, of course, I might have damaged something. Sleep did (and does) not work after upgrading. But that was the ibook with the loud CD/DVD-Drive, not that with the chiming. (Heard of that sleep problem from some other people, too that had upgraded the Drive, but then again others did not have that problem).

8. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Have you done a PMU reset?

I remember that Apple has released a superdrive-update some years ago. It may be worth searching for it and force it to install again. Otherwise, maybe it's time to record the noise. :D Unfortunately, I think I can't give much more advise at this point.

9. Cox Orange, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013

Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

PMU resret, yes. Will search for the update, though. Thanks. I will record it soon :)
    Oh, you can do that too?

10. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

If I remember correctly, my G4 iBook had the same issues with vibration. Don't remember my white G3 iBook, though.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

At the ripe old age of nearly 30, I remember those days.

Some drives in laptops and desktops were kinda quiet. But back then, lots of drives would get REALLY loud and " chirp " at full load, or reading a disc. The " chirping " is just the laser moving back and forth reading the disc.

As long as its working, don't worry about.

In College I had 3 total computers, a Pismo which was a gift from m y mom for college, a P3 Dell Tower for gaming, and a IBM Thinkpad Laptop for lot of Windows only software during class.

All of them " chirped " and got pretty loud under full read speed. None of them ever had a problem, I really wouldn't worry.