Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
On Sunday a woman called 911 about finding a baby in her car. She had been shopping at the mall. She heard a sneeze or sneeze's from the back of her call. When she checked her hatchback she found a baby boy in the back of her car it was in a cardborar box. The baby was wrapped in a nice blanket with a baby bottle and a note saying his name is Tyler. Please see that he is well cared for. The Department of Social Services took custody. According to reports the baby had been well cared for. A hunt was stareted to find the mother.

Today she admitted that Tyler was her 2 month old boy. She has 2 other children that are with relatives. The baby was born at home. She stated that a lot was going in her life, "distraught."

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2604178/detail.html

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2605617/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_12pm&ts=T&tmi=bos_12pm_3244_11000111032003

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Well, some good may come out of it:

Police said the situation suggests that Massachusetts needs a "Safe Haven" law that would help mothers who are in crisis.

"This is a tragedy. This is why there has to be opportunities, and people available, that when people are dealing with crises in their lives, they can go to [them] and seek help," said police chief Arruda.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by tazo
*sigh* Another disgusting occurence of not caring by a parent...it sickens me to read these articles :eek:

it's cheap and easy to say she didn't care. But the baby was well cared for, and went directly from her care to that of social services. The way she went about this ensured that the baby was never in danger.

Am I saying what she did was right or ok? Of course not. But misguided and wrong as her actions were, they were clearly not the actions of a cold or uncaring person.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
If the parents don't care about a child, best that the child go to someone who does. Better yet that this lady get herself fixed; she apparently finds it much easier to have children than to raise them. That's the thing I find most disturbing about this--that she has two other children she apparently couldn't take care of either, and yet goes and has a third.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I agree that the infant was well cared for by Barbara O'Leary. The problem is that she went about this the wrong way. She is now aware that she made a bad decision, but thinks she did it for the right reasons. The are looking at charging her with at least child abandonment. She has lost her business, marriage, and home all in the last 2 years. Her neighbors were surpised. She had told them that she had and tumor.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2003/11/04/minivan_driver_is_infants_mother/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.