Different systems, similar price..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeremybuff, Mar 7, 2009.

1. jeremybuff macrumors regular

First off, I want to say hi to everyone since this is my first post. After lurking around MacRumors for years, I have finally decided to hop on board. I just want to say thank you to everyone here, you truly are the nicest, funniest, and most informative bunch of people I have ever seen on a forum- any forum. Kudos to you for making it such an easy and fun environment

I had written a long post, but sadly the power went off and I lost what I wrote, so I apologize for this "version" to be choppier but I have a meeting to go to in a few minutes. Let me cut to the chase. I am a web designer who uses Photoshop very heavily, often has multiple instances of multiple browsers open with, you guessed it, multiple tabs. It's rare for me to ever have fewer than 5 programs open. Recently, I have been working on a MacBook Air- I'm sure you can imagine how THAT was. Anyway, I code a lot, always have an FTP program open, and use multiple programs from the Adobe Master Collection- none of them hardcore, besides Photoshop. I simply cannot decide which system to get:

iMac 24" 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, standard GT 130 graphics card, 1 TB HDD
    OR
    MacBook 15" 2.4GHz with (upgraded)4GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, and stock graphics card plus the 24" Apple Cinema Display

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience? I am not sure how well I would cope without a laptop- all I have is an older compaq. Is the iMac MUCH better than the MacBook above? Would I even see a big difference, being a web designer / developer? Especially the performance of the 15" MacBook? The last thing I want to do is spend $2,500-600 and regret it. I guess the 15" 2.66 MacBook PRO is an option as well, since it's $2,500.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions that you may have.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Really it comes down to whether you want / need a laptop or not. If so, the answer is obvious - but if you won't actually use the thing anywhere but on your desk, I'd go with the iMac.

3. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Well, like I said I'm not sure I can adapt well without the portability. However, if the iMac is truly "that much better"- even if it's better that I currently need- then I would be better of getting the iMac, right?

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I have worked on all three levels of machines. Based on what you are saying, you are not taxing the system with any real heavy lifting. You won't notice a difference.

FWIW - My macbook is my carry around machine and I do video editing and encoding. While it is slower than my Mac Pro at editing, I don't see the big difference until I encode (or transcode), or compress video work.

The screens are really nice on the Macbook Pros, so I am not suggesting you go the Macbook root. Just providing the information as a means of comparison with performance.

5. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

thanks mcavjame. I figured that encoding / decoding was the biggest detractor in terms of speed. The 320 GB hard drive is the main problem with the MacBook Pro, and I love the illuminated keyboard (who doesn't?). I may end up purchasing that 15" 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro.. slightly disappointed 4GB RAM is the max, but for that system I guess it's fine..

6. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Yeah... the first thing I always do with my laptops is swap out the stock drive and pop in a 7200 rpm larger capacity drive. I haven't noticed a big problem with my 4GB of RAM. I often have Illustrator, PS, and final cut, Flash, mail, Internet, preview and server connection open at the same time.

7. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

It sounds like you do pretty much the exact same stuff I would do. I agree with the 7200rpm drive. It's $45 to upgrade so I'll def do that. I think I've made my decision; you have been a great help. Thank you so much!

8. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

No problem... I like to bounce ideas off people too. It helps clarify what you are doing. Happy shopping.