Different take on a general question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lewisite, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Lewisite, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

Lewisite macrumors newbie

So, I thought about posting this in the "just bought" thread, but I figured I would try its own thread first, since my aim is a tad bit different.

More or less, I am just wondering what things should I be looking for when I buy an open box Macbook Pro? Aside from outside physical damage, this is my first Mac and I have no clue what to inspect in terms of missing software and things of that nature. I bought an open box one from Best Buy today, powered it on and it booted to the set up screen, which is good I am assuming meaning it has been restored if set up at all. Letting it charge at the moment, but if anyone could give me some tips on what to look for to make sure everything is up to speed that would be great.

I read a post somewhere about someones open box macbook missing iLife or something to that degree, which is what prompted me to wonder what I should be looking for.

Sorry if this is an over-asked question, I did try a google search before hand, but did not find much to this regard on my question. Thanks in advance for your help!

edit:

Oh wow, I feel like a fool. Just saw a similar post a few threads down, just missed it with the wrong wording on my search. Would close this if I could and just post there, sorry everyone!

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

The only I can think of is checking the battery history in System Information for how many times it has been cycled, apart from checking the model. My 2.2Ghz early 15" 2011 is a 8.2.

Apple > About this Mac > More info > System Report > Hardware > Power

Unless it is running 10.6, I wouldn't worry about the software. It will be downloadable from Apple and you won't get discs anyway.

3. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I don't know if you looked up something as easy as this new MacBook :apple: Didn't it come with a warranty of some sort, if your missing things? Bestbuy is a great place to get one from, i know that.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Consider buying from Amazon Warehouse - There prices are currently little bit higher - changes daily - I bought the high end late 2011 15 MPB - $1340 - shipped.

Once bought an iMac open box from BestBuy - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1279017 - ended up with brand new iMac :)

5. Lewisite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was not even sure how something like iLife could disappear and you not get it back like the guy was saying.

My Macbook was marked that it was inspected and restored and all that by Geek Squad. I am assuming this is true to some degree, because upon turning it on I was greeted by a screen to install OS X Lion new, back up from a time capsule, etc etc etc. I am guessing this is not the norm for most macbooks right? It is currently doing a five hour instillation of OS X Lion and I get the vibe that this the post factory reset process.

6. Lewisite thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, bit of an update. So I got OS X Lion installed, and everything is going smoothly so far (knock on wood). As expected though, iLife is not on the Macbook Pro. I read in a few places that they come standard with instillation dvds and an application disc, is that true? Are they two disc or just one?

I received neither disc and before I asked Best Buy about it I wanted to have the right information.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

A brand new Mac will do the same thing.

Macs no longer come with discs as of Lion.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

iLife is a separate (paid) install; as others have said, new Macs dodn't come with a Lion install disc.

9. emac82 macrumors 6502

But if you buy a new MBP, iLife comes preinstalled on them, so he shouldn't have to pay for it...??