Different types of Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew07, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

My new MBP is elligible for the $10 (or whatever it is) upgrade to Leopard. If i order this upgrade will it work on my Dual PPC Mac G5? I don't want to install Leopard on my MBP just yet due to work and compatibility issues

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

How come? I'm not talking about installing the same disk twice...I would use the cheaper upgrade version on my G5 and buy another copy of Leopard in a month or two for my MBP

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Terms and Conditions say you cannot install on any machine other than the one you purchased the Up-to-date for.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

When you pay your $9.95 you will get the same installation disk they sell at retail.

The installation disk they sell at retail will upgrade your Dual PPC G5.

So the answer to your question is yes.

6. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Can you do this? Yes, there is no technical reason why not.

Are you allowed to do this? No, the license for the Up-to-date program states it can only be installed on the machine that qualifies for the up-to-date program.

8. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

although i think you are right that it wont be able to tell what machine its being installed on, I dont think its the same as retail.. Its usually an upgrade disc meaning you need to have tiger on for it to upgrade.

Im not 100% sure about this, but last time I bought an Up-To-Date package it was upgrade only.. no fresh install.

9. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

agreed... Apple only agreed to keep your recent mac purchase up to date. Its a single license for that machine only. Its like saying that just because you got Tiger with your machine and dont intend to use it, that your entitled to use it on another machine.. which your not.

Exactly the same as Windowz

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That begs the question will it be an Intel-only upgrade disk or a Universal upgrade disk?

11. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Excellent point. Nobody PowerPC is elligible for the UTD program.

12. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Maybe you will, maybe you won't. It depends on what Apple sends you. If they send you a MBP Leopard disk, then it's unlikely (although still possible), while if they send you the full Leopard version, then almost certainly.

You won't know until you get it and give it a shot.

But either way, it's kind of illegal, whether you care or not is a different story.

Actually, I don't really understand where you're coming from. If you're going to illegally install the MBP cheap version on your other mac, you might as well install the cheap version on both. And if you're going to buy another version of Leopard as well, then there's no reason why you need to break any of the terms. The $10 and $130 versions of Leopard are going to be exactly the same...

13. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

All good points. And since I'm rather paranoid about voiding any kind of support I'll just abide by Apple's rules.

Didn't know anything about the legalities of installing the OS thats why I posted here. Basically I fell into the window period where my MBP gets an upgrade for $10 and I use programs on it that won't be compatible with Leopard for some time. Just wondering if I should install it on my G5 instead. No biggie

14. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Out of curiousity, which programs do you mean? and how do you know they arent compatible with leopard?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is a good chance that Apple has it set up to only upgrade Intel machines running 10.4.10

16. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mainly Pro Tools 7(audio sequencer) and different plug-ins that I use in it. They specifically state which OS's their hardware and software will run under. So until they issue a Leopard update, no matter how many times I click the Pro Tools icon, it'll just bounce up and down in vain :)

17. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Still questionable. Since software companies cannot predict the OSes that will be released in the future, they cannot say that their product will run on any particular future OS when they release software into the market.
    On the other hand, if the system requirements or the developer's website specifically say that the program will *not* run on OS X 10.5, only then can you be confident in having a bouncing icon and non-loading program. That's when you'll have to wait for an update.