Different versions of OS X updates?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThomasJL, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Does Apple release different versions of an OS update for each of it's computer models? For example, is it likely that a 10.5.6 update might include some hardware specific updates for an iMac which you would not get if you downloaded the update on a MacBook?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think that all the updates are one file with the exception being that there usually is a PowerPC version and an Intel version. When you begin to install the update runs a quick hardware check in order to optimize itself for your computer. The only way that it would be bad is if you had an iMac with a PowerPC processor and a laptop with an Intel processor.

This is the way that I understand it to work anyway. At least the stand alone files that you can download. I'm pretty sure that "Software Update" works the same.

3. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. So, for example, let's say it was the day when 10.5.5 was released. If I originally downloaded and installed it on the oldest generation Intel Mac Mini from 2006, and then took out the hard drive from the Intel Mac Mini and placed it inside the MacBook Pro that was released in early 2008, would it work optimally on the MacBook Pro?