Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomsavini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Hello all :)

My first post...

I have the first Apple TV.
I wanted to buy Apple TV 2 when it came out, but I was kinda disappointed when I found out it didn'e have full 1080p support. Well, that's another story.

I read that it was legal to hack/jailbreak the ATV1, so I gave it a try.
After some intensive googeling/pulling out some hair I made it work.
Made a patchstick, XBMC and Boxee are now avaliable.

After I did this I saw that there are different ways of jailbreaking ATV2 (Seasonpass, Green Poison - maybe more).

Anyone knows if it is better to re-hack it with another jailbreak?
My ATV1 is jailbroken, but I was kinda wodering if some of the other jailbreakmethods gave other advantages :)

tomsavini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Hello

Are you sure about that?
I haven't tested myself, but I saw a couple of other guys claiming they had done it...

I have not tested it

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yep, the ATV1 uses a version of OSX for it's OS and the ATV2 uses iOS, two completely different operating systems, meaning a jailbrake for ATV2 will never work on the ATV1 and likewise a jailbrake for ATV1 will never work on ATV2.

The only two jailbrakes for ATV1 I know are the atvusb-creator and aTV Flash, I'm not saying there arn't others, but they all do basically the same thing. What I am saying is that an ATV2 jailbrake will never work on the ATV1.

ponch0v

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
DC
Put a stripped down version of Leopard on my ATV1 to run Plex client to stream from PMS on the Mini downstairs. No need to buy another ATV2 when I already had the ATV1

Last edited:

tomsavini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Yep, the ATV1 uses a version of OSX for it's OS and the ATV2 uses iOS, two completely different operating systems, meaning a jailbrake for ATV2 will never work on the ATV1 and likewise a jailbrake for ATV1 will never work on ATV2.

The only two jailbrakes for ATV1 I know are the atvusb-creator and aTV Flash, I'm not saying there arn't others, but they all do basically the same thing. What I am saying is that an ATV2 jailbrake will never work on the ATV1.

Jailbreaking two different OS with the same program, you have a good point there :)
I tried, did off course not work.

Thanx for the input :)

tomsavini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Put a stripped down version of Leopard on my ATV1 to run Plex client to stream from PMS on the Mini downstairs. No need to buy another ATV2 when I already had the ATV1

Sounds interesting...
I might try it my selv beacuse of an annoying issue.
I installed Nito TV, and the app for USB disk.

Opened XBMC, started scanning 8using the imdb-like datamase).
It did loose connection ac ouple of times.
Then it freaked out; showed the same title 20+ times, and the share from the USB were removed under xbmc - videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.