Different ways to install Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ethical, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ethical macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

I've decided it's about time to reinstall Leopard. It's been just over a year and so I feel it's about time to get that fresh new feel. Only problem is that my superdrive on my macbook is dead.

My question is, how can I go about installing Leopard?

I have no other macs in the house. Can I do it via remote disc with a PC?
    I've heard about mounting the disc to an external HDD and booting from that, but my USB ports also seem to be dead, so at the moment eject any external HDD automatically after 10 minutes or so (my poor mac is dying!!:( )
    Can I do it via a Firewire external HDD? I dont have one of these, but may be able to get my hands on one.
    I dont have an external disc drive.

So, many problems to block various roots. Right now I'm thinking that doing it via remote disc would be easiest, but im not sure if this is possible or not?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Luke

2. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

3. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I don't encourage it. But I know of people who would buy and refund an external dvd drive. Better yet is to just borrow one from a friend. There are also ways that you can rip the image into a USB drive and install from there. Google under hackintosh + USB drive installation.

4. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Rip your OS X DVD to an ISO file using "imgburn" on windows. Then extract the ISO file using imgburn to a blank USB flash drive or hard drive. Then connect that drive to your mac and boot from it.

EDIT: forgot to mention... the reason for this is you likely won't get all the files if you try to just copy within windows. I don't believe windows will read the mac formatted DVD.

5. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

but using imgburn will definitely extract everything? and my mac will definitely boot from a usb stick?

think i'll give this a go then! thanks for your help guys!

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you have another Mac, Target Disk Mode works pretty good, takes a while, but still pretty good. (Unless you have the Late-2008 MacBook, then USB drive would be your best option)

7. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

What's target disc mode? I have my mac set up to do remote disc with a windows PC on my network, can i do it via this? Wont the connection between the two be lost when the mac restarts and begins the installation.

I got my mac in September 2007. Does that mean using a USB stick wont work?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If I remember correctly, you can't install off the optical drive over a network like the MacBook Air can (I could be wrong, hate dealing with MacBook Air problems because there are too many factors with everything being done through wireless, I never take Air calls.). Target Disk Mode basically turns a second Mac as an external drive. If connected, your MacBook will see the other Mac's HDD and optical drive basically as external drives. Seeing how you have a MacBook with firewire this would be possible. If you don't have a second Mac, your better off doing it on a USB drive unless you have a buddy who has a mac (w/ Firewire) and would want to chill and catch up on times say for about 3 hours :D

9. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah it is just the Air that has the feature built in, but when trying to solve this problem the other day i came accross a terminal hack that allows macbooks to use the feature too. so do you think it's possible this way? i guess how else would an Air user reinstall the OS without an external drive/TDM. the only person who i could think of asking is one of my friends mum who got a UMB last week :p, but that 3 hours could get a little awkward!haha.

Attached Files:

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can try the terminal hack and see if it works. The new unibody MacBook's don't have a firewire port so you're stuck with either the hack or USB drive.

11. ethical thread starter macrumors 68000

ah yes, i forgot about the lack of a firewire port. i just wasted 15 minutes thinking up possible conversation topics :p

ok, i think i'll give the remote disc idea a shot. thanks for your help!