different windows stealing focus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JonD25, Jun 27, 2007.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

EDIT: Thread title was changed to fit my new problem. It's not just Adium, but OS X that's making the wrong programs steal focus.

Adium keeps stealing the focus from my windows. For example, Finder could be the active app at the moment, with iTunes clearly sitting above Adium. If I click on iTunes to make it the active window, instead Adium becomes active. This is just one of many instances in which Adium will steal the focus from a window that should be active. It's incredibly annoying. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In preferences -> advanced -> messages -> Window Handling, try choosing ordering normally or below other windows?

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, nope. It's already set to normal, and below puts my message windows underneath all my other windows, which i don't want. Thanks though.

4. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else know what could be up? Another example, I'm throwing some stuff in the trash that needs my admin password, I put my password in and press enter, it goes to the trash, and Adium pops up, stealing focus from Finder. This has happened on numerous occasions.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, okay, sorry, I totally misunderstood you. I assumed you meant that it happened when a message came. But it sounds like that isn't the case. Do you have any kind of system behavior modification utilities, any kind of application enhancers, etc, running? Anything for instance that has an extra preference pane that shows up in System Prefs?

This is definitely weird behavior.

6. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. The only two would be Afloat and Cleardock. I guess it could be Afloat, but it's never done it before. I'll disable it and see how things go.

7. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've had Afloat disabled for a while, even did a reset or two since then, and it's still a problem.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Strange...have you looked in Adium's bug tracker? I'm not sure I've seen anything like this before. If it isn't in there already, submit a bug report.

9. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems the trac page is down, but I'm posting something to the cocoaforge forum.

10. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I found out it's not an Adium problem, but an OS X problem. I decided to see if I used iChat instead of Adium, if the problem would still happen, and it did. I had iChat and iTunes open, I clicked on the desktop to focus on Finder, then clicked on iTunes to focus on iTunes, and instead, iChat stole focus. So, looks like things are a bit more serious than I thought. I might have to move over to Apple's forums to see if I can get a solution there unless anyone else happens to know what could be up here.

EDIT: Please don't tell me to do a clean install. I just did that about a month ago. I don't want to have to go through the hassle again.

11. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I may have found the culprit. It looks like it was VirtueDesktops. I'll edit this post if I find out I'm wrong.