Differentiating between Purchased tracks and Apple Music tracks

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by schlaufox, Jun 30, 2015.

1. schlaufox, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

schlaufox macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone knows whether there's a way to tell between:

a) Music I have purchased, ripped, or otherwise own.
    b) Music from Apple Music that I have added to my library.

Since the new iTunes isn't out yet, I suppose this question is directed towards the iOS Music.app which I cannot find any way to make this distinction in.

I haven't seemed to find an answer about this yet. Thanks.

EDIT: It looks like in iTunes 12.2, just released, there are a few ways to differentiate, though none immediately obvious or visual. All downloaded Apple Music tracks are kept in a separate folder under iTunes, called Apple Music. Calling up Get Info on a track, or album will also tell you it's from Apple Music.

But again: no obvious visual cue or ability to sort, that I can tell.

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

you cant tell unless you go into info > file on itunes and check the iCloud status as far as i know

my own = status reads "found" or "matched"
    apple music = status reads "Apple Music" in the same iCloud field

3. schlaufox thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, seems that way.

Perhaps that's the idea – that all of your music becomes this integrated collection. Though it seems a little dangerous to not add in some basic options for sorting, and especially since a significant amount of your music might disappear upon ending the free trial, or cancelling at a later date.

Of course, the cynic in me wonders if that's entirely the point: to have it be very unappealing to lose 3 months worth of collected music, of which you can't even remember what of it you actually own.

4. flur macrumors 68000

It *seems* like you could do this with a smart playlist, but I'm not at home to figure it out.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

I don't have 12.2 yet (waiting for the Windows version), but if Apple Music has its own iCloud status as indicated by bushido, you should be able to enable the "iCloud Status" column in the iTunes list view and sort by that.

6. schlaufox thread starter macrumors regular

Just figured out how to do just that. Thanks for the suggestion. See below:

[​IMG]
    Indeed, this also shows "Apple Music" in that column field for applicable songs. Thanks!

7. afx128 macrumors member

Looks like tracks that I dl'd and are on my phone physically are denoted with a little phone next to the ellipses in track view under My Music, tracks that I added via Apple Music do not have this.

8. schlaufox thread starter macrumors regular

This also looks to be the case; thank you. Though I do wonder if it's a bug – it's seems like that icon should simply denote that a track has been downloaded, including Apple Music tracks made available offline. Indeed, while I was downloading an Apple Music album on my iPhone, the small iPhone symbol flickered briefly on the album art, before disappearing.

9. afx128 macrumors member

right, I think they are just trying to denote if its physically on the phone or not, not if it comes from you or apple music.