Differnce between this OWC and Icy Dock dual enclosure?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tilpots, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Besides the price, what's the difference between these 2 enclosures? Looking into these for a HTPC setup. Not sure I'll go the dual enclosure route, but trying to figure out what the $80 discrepancy is??? Also, let me know if you have any positives/negatives to share with either. Thanks!

ICY DOCK MB662UEAB-2S Aluminum 2 Bay SATA to Firewire 400/800 (1394a/b) / USB 2.0 RAID 0, 1 & JBOD Enclosure for Mac & PC - Retail

or From Icy Dock's site

OWC Mercury Elite-AL FireWire 800/400 + USB2 Pro Hardware RAID Dual-Drive Enclosure

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

OWCs case lacks the removal drive sleds.

If its not important to you, then not a big deal.

OWC has excellent customer support and stands behind their products.

FWIW, either of those are kinda loud since they have fans. =(

HTPC doesnt need FW800 at all, USB2 is more than enough...

EDIT: how much storage are you looking for? Heres 2TB for $190 AR, even with FW800.

Nice thing about single bay cases = no fans = no noise.

heres a really good HTPC setup guide from OWC.

http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/mediacenter

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

^^Thanks for the info. Yeah, fan noise might be an issue. I was thinking about putting two of the WD Caviar Green 1TB drives in the enclosure hoping it might limit the heat and fan issues. I do want FW800 for recording and watching TV shows at the same time via Elgato's Hybrid. From what I've read, USB 2 wouldn't cut it. No personal experience, just hours of research.:)

Space was also a factor in loooking into these enclosures. I'm looking for a small form factor and as little clutter as possible. 1 TB would be used for my movies, music, pictures and TV recordings, the second drive would be a backup of the first. I also have a 500 GB G-Tech drive as an additional backup (for music, movies and pics) that I'd only back up to on occasion and store off site.