Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
We have been trying to solve this at work with no luck so I decided to try the experts on these forums as a last resort.

Our school has iMacs connected to lcd projectors in classrooms and we use them to project the iMac screen contents on a large screen in the rooms for instruction.
Everything worked fine with Leopard 10.5.7.

Over the summer, they upgraded all of the iMacs to Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and now the projected images are very dark.
They are useless for showing anything beyond text. Photos or video clips are so dark that the students can't see them clearly.

The IT people have tried all sorts of solutions and updated all of the graphics drivers that they can find for Snow Leopard and for the various graphic cards in the iMacs.
If I switch my iMac running 10.6.4 with another one still running 10.5.7, the projected images go back to looking correct, so it's not a problem with the projectors.

We have tried all sorts of settings and different profiles on the 10.6.4 iMacs and nothing has worked.
The images projected remain very dark and harsh in contrast, as does the entire desktop and dock icons that are also part of the projections.

Can anyone please offer some advice on what may be going on and any possible solutions?
We are not really able to revert all of the machines back to 10.5.X anymore.
Thanks a lot for any advice.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
hm...other than trying a reinstallation of Snow Leopard and not having them install random Graphics drivers that Apple hasn't supplemented.

I'd also look in the Displays section of System preferences, and click the Color tab and see if there is a list of various Color profiles.

might be the projector is not set up properly under the Displays portion.

maclandish

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
New to the forum but surprised this issue doesn't have more attention. It is a regular problem with any presentation—ppt/ pdf/ keynote—that images are dark and illegible when presenting with a mac. I can always tell when I'm at a conference and the presenter before me used a mac as the brightness is already cranked on the projector and the images are still too dark. Bad enough that we can't resize images in ppt, but to have them dark makes us look silly for having spent 4x our co-presenters on our macbook pro's. Is there really no solution for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.