Difficult processor choice...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RobinHood5, Nov 30, 2014.

  1. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

    Apr 23, 2012
    through a employee accommodation I am going to have the opportunity to purchase one of two intel i7 processors at a major discount.

    Option 1: Intel Core i7 4790k 4.0ghz Quad Core CPU for $119 (Normally $400)
    Option 2: Intel Core i7 5930k 3.5ghz Six Core CPU for $194 (Normally $600)

    So heres my problem... I don't need a new computer by any means. Of course I want to dive into the Haswell-E six core but the costs of building a system around it are tremendous. 2011-v3 mobo, DDR4 Ram, and then there is the fact that I will want to put a $400+ GPU in it I would probably spend $1400 beyond the processor itself on a system I don't even need! On the other hand I could build a reasonable system with the quad core for about $800 beyond the CPU, but the performance would not be that much better than my iMac even so whats the point. I have until December 3rd to decide and ITS KILLING ME!!!! I don't need a new computer, I actually just dropped $600 on a i5 Devils Canyon Server over black Friday! Someone help me make this decision!
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    False economy

    If you don't need it don't buy it. Simple as that why spend the money when your current setup serves you well.
  3. h9826790 macrumors G4


    Apr 3, 2014
    Hong Kong
  4. theluggage macrumors 68040

    Jul 29, 2011
    ...so don't buy a $200 CPU then. Simples.

    I know the gods of consumerism will hurl lightening bolts at me for saying this but buying something you don't need at £400 below list does not equate to saving £400.

    Yeah, you could buy it and sell it on for a profit, but nobody with any sense is going to pay anywhere near list price for a processor from a private seller.
  5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Oct 21, 2013
    Most i7 5930k processors sell on eBay for 550$. The market isn't that bad. But you do make a good point about not upgrading if your computer works fine. As a counterpoint though, assuming the OP can sell his old processor, he could still turn a profit and get a better processor out of the deal.
  6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Dec 17, 2009
    Either buy the haswell-e and sell it on ebay and bank the $2-300 or don't buy at all. As everyone stated, just because it is a good deal doesn't mean you should buy.

    Over black friday I really wanted to buy some new hard drives, but didn't pull the trigger because I didn't need more space. Many good deals, but I already have 20+GB worth of storage that was maybe half full so I didn't buy any.
  7. RobinHood5 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 23, 2012
    Ended up buying the 6-Core and still haven't decided if i'm going to be spending the $1500 to build the rest of the computer.

Share This Page