Difficult telling difference between iPad 2 and 3 boxes.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Anyone else think it's difficult to tell the difference between the iPad 2 and 3 when looking at the front of the boxes. If looking at just the wifi version it is almost indistinguishable on the back too.

Think there will be some scammers selling iPad 2's on craigslist unopened but saying its the iPad 3?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Don't see how it's that hard, they updated the wallpaper that is on the iPad on the box. They did a similar thing with Apple displays back in the day, was literally the only way to tell them apart form older models (okay other than the model number).

Learn to identify the image! More blue = New.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
No. The screen color is different with the 3rd gen being bluer assuming the pics on Apples site are correct.

If someone doesn't look at the back and read the model # and config, then they're even more naive than those who don't insist on opening the box before parting company with the seller.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The new iPad also has an iCloud emblem on the bottom of the box.
Actually any iPad 2 that has iOS 5 pre-installed has iCloud on the box too. Apple did this on any new iPads made post-iOS 5. I know because my work bought a bunch of them awhile back and they had the logo.

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Actually any iPad 2 that has iOS 5 pre-installed has iCloud on the box too.
Yes, I have a recent iPad2 box and it has the iCloud sticker.

Really though, regardless of the picture on the front, if the label on the back says "iPad 2" then it's NOT a new iPad...

H2K03

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Actually any iPad 2 that has iOS 5 pre-installed has iCloud on the box too. Apple did this on any new iPads made post-iOS 5. I know because my work bought a bunch of them awhile back and they had the logo.
I stand corrected :) I was going off my knowledge of the box from the iPad 2 launch last year.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Really though, regardless of the picture on the front, if the label on the back says "iPad 2" then it's NOT a new iPad...
Actually, some of the iPad 2 boxes don't say iPad 2 on the back either. The one I sold only had "iPad" on the label on the back. I suspect that Apple put "iPad 2" on newer ones (the ones with the iCloud logo perhaps?)