Difficult telling difference between iPad 2 and 3 boxes.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Mar 14, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else think it's difficult to tell the difference between the iPad 2 and 3 when looking at the front of the boxes. If looking at just the wifi version it is almost indistinguishable on the back too.

Think there will be some scammers selling iPad 2's on craigslist unopened but saying its the iPad 3?

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Don't see how it's that hard, they updated the wallpaper that is on the iPad on the box. They did a similar thing with Apple displays back in the day, was literally the only way to tell them apart form older models (okay other than the model number).

Learn to identify the image! More blue = New.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

No. The screen color is different with the 3rd gen being bluer assuming the pics on Apples site are correct.

If someone doesn't look at the back and read the model # and config, then they're even more naive than those who don't insist on opening the box before parting company with the seller.

4. f1restarter macrumors regular

Also there is an iCloud icon on the side of the new iPad.

5. H2K03 macrumors member

The new iPad also has an iCloud emblem on the bottom of the box.

6. ovrlrd, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Actually any iPad 2 that has iOS 5 pre-installed has iCloud on the box too. Apple did this on any new iPads made post-iOS 5. I know because my work bought a bunch of them awhile back and they had the logo.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, I have a recent iPad2 box and it has the iCloud sticker.

Really though, regardless of the picture on the front, if the label on the back says "iPad 2" then it's NOT a new iPad...

8. H2K03 macrumors member

I stand corrected :) I was going off my knowledge of the box from the iPad 2 launch last year.

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Actually, some of the iPad 2 boxes don't say iPad 2 on the back either. The one I sold only had "iPad" on the label on the back. I suspect that Apple put "iPad 2" on newer ones (the ones with the iCloud logo perhaps?)