Difficult time choosing new Android phone or Iphone for this year

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Noojin, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Noojin macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I know I am not the only one here that is having a difficult time choosing which is the better OS. I have researched a lot between the 2 for the past couple months. The articles help but sometimes they don't tell everything.

I have a:
    2010 Macbook Pro
    Ipad 2
    Tmobile G2

I do feel like I need an iphone to obtain to full "apple experience." But there are some pros and cons why I shouldn't get the iphone. It doesn't have a free talking navigator like google navigation. I do have a gmail account and use google calendar for my tasks and schedules. Tethering is also great for me when my cable internet randomly goes down >_<. What I hate about the android platform is it is not as smooth as the iOS. It lags a lot. There are force closes frequently. Other forums suggested me to root my phone which I did to Cyanogenmod. Even with that, I still get numerous force closes. My G2 got slower throughout its lifetime. I don't think it was as stable as it was once I purchased it.

I am curious what Apple will offer for the next iphone. I am hoping it will come to Tmobile. I simply feel I should get the iphone because it can work well with my other two devices. But I will lose the google navigation app and tethering (if I don't jailbreak). The User interface is not as appealing as Android either but I can believe there won't be many force closes as I experienced with Android. Many people are saying Ice Cream Sandwich is something others should look into and give it a chance. I only experienced Donut, Froyo, and Gingerbread. I am nervous that google phones will lose its support after 6 months.

But to those who have both the latest experienced iphones and android phones, what do you guys think? To those who have jailbroken iphones, is there a lot of force closes on apps? Does it retain the smooth iOS as if it was not jailbroken?

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Think of it this way, if you get a new android phone, do you think you'd be disappointed about not waiting for the new iPhone? Now if you do wait and get the new iPhone, is it likely you'd wish you'd have went with an android? Obviously you don't know because you don't know what new features iPhone "5" will have, but if your an Apple fan to any extent I doubt your feelings would be the latter.

I thought I was getting "bored" with my 4S until I had to send it off for repair and was more than excited to have it back two days later.

I know I answered your question with questions, but ultimately, the decision is yours. I just can't see many people here being disappointed they got the newest iPhone because of a new Android launch.

I say wait for the new iPhone. Good luck with your decision.

And FWIW I have an android device as my emergency backup so I do have experience with both. Yes, they are much more configurable, but I never yearn to be able to do many of the things Android fans claim they can do that iOS users can't.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Eeeny meenie miney moe tends to work well in these situations :p