Difficulties removing Spacebar on MacBook 5.1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Roxford, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Roxford macrumors newbie

One of my idiot friends spilled raspberry tea all over my MacBook keyboard. The problem isn't the sweet raspberry after smell that results from hours of tomfoolery on the internet but rather, the sticky result of my space bar.

The question stands,
    How do I remove my space bar safely and (hopefully) securely?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Bewarned, braking any one of the plastic clips will prevent the keycap from staying in place!!

The keycaps are clipped on, it's clips are at the top, in the corners (away from the trackpad) You should be able to life the keycap off with some gentle persuasion. Avoid using a screwdriver or other tools, instead just use your nails but don't force it.

Underneath, there's two very thin metal rods holding it in place... Freeing the Keycap is a little tricky but can be done. Then there's three little white scissors - can't stress how fragile, they are! Each of them are clipped into the metal frame by it's corners via a tiny, tiny plastic arm. If you break one, you can get replacements from a AppleStore but don't tell them HOW YOU BROKE IT!! And if they discover you have residue of liquids in there, they might void the warranty on the entire machine...

Once off, I'd clean it using a damp cotton swob, maybe wash the keycap with warm water and air dry it (use cool air).

3. vilim12 macrumors regular

Ultra seems to have covered it pretty good, but did you take the bottom case off to inspect liquid damage anywhere else?