Difficulty erasing and reformatting a former boot drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hmark6, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hmark6 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

Let me start by apologizing if this question appears already in the forum somewhere. I searched extensively and nothing here seems to match my issue exactly, although some are similar.

I upgraded the HD in my MacBook (10.5.6), and the drive that I removed is now in a USB enclosure. I'd like to use the old drive as a portable, external. When I connect the old drive to my MacBook, the drive appears on the desktop as "Mac HD".

I've used Disk Utility to try to:
    • Verify the drive and volume
    • Repair the drive and Volume
    • Erase the drive and volume
    • Partition the drive into 1 GUID partition
    • Do all of the above booting the machine from the MAC OSX 10.5 DVD
    • Do all of the above on a separate machine (MacBook Pro 10.5.6)

Disk Utility beachballs, and I cannot eject the drive. In fact, Force Quit doesn't actually work until I yank the USB cord out.

I'm at the end of my rope for this one. I appeal to the forum's wisdom for council.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It could be the problem is with the enclosure. Is this something you bought for the purpose, or is there another drive you swapped out of there?

3. hmark6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took the 60GB (which the MacBook came with) out and replaced it with a 250GB Western D. I then put the 60GB drive in a new, empty RocketFish enclosure.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then my vote goes for a faulty enclosure. Check that all the cables are connected correctly, and try it with a different drive if possible. If that doesn't work, return it and get a new one.