Difficulty mounting a share on a network drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by billbriggs, Jun 28, 2009.

1. billbriggs macrumors newbie

A friend posted this at Experts Exchange, and I thought the people here might have some insight. This is my first post, so please be gentle...

"I have an iMac with 5 users (my family). We store all of our important data on a Raid NAS box (readynas) that has a common share named 'files'.

I have no problems mounting the network share as afp, smb, or nfs upon login.... OSX just creates a mount point something like /Volumes/files. The problem is that if my wife then switches users on the Mac and wants to see those same files, a new mount point is created for her named /Volumes/files-1. The bonus is that I can't write to /Volumes/files-1 and my wife can't write to /Volumes/files.

On the next, day, if SHE logs in first, her mount is named /Volumes/files and mine is /Volumes/files-1. (and my daughter may get /Volumes/files-2)

I would normally be ok with this, since it's mostly transparent to the user, but there are some programs such as Picasa for OSX where this presents a problem. It seems to remember the path of the mount point and loses its mind when the mount point path changes.

Also, any aliases that I create in our respective User folders also seem to be hard-wired to the mount point path which may change the next day depending on who logs into the Mac first.

I'd like to have a single mount point on the Mac that ALL users can access (read-write) regardless of who logged in first...

... Any ideas? ... Or am I doing something totally wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any advice."

2. billbriggs thread starter macrumors newbie

bump

Any ideas? And if I'm asking in the wrong place, please let me know.

3. jwahl macrumors newbie

Where I work our network is Windows based, in order for Macs to connect nicely to it we had to install ADmitMac v.4 from Thursby Software, www.thursby.com
    Once our local Mac guru installed and bound the Macs everything worked fine. Don't know if this is helps much, but thought I would give my 2 cents.