Difficulty Removing MBP Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steve5280, Jun 16, 2009.

1. steve5280 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I attempted to replace my HDD this weekend with a new Seagate 7k2 320gb disk, as the original 80gb is completely full. Removing all the screws with the case and battery were fine until I got to removing the keyboard. I was able to get touchpad side completely removed, but the side by the screeen would not loosen. The screw tabs on the by speakers were almost bending. Any tricks to get the full keyboard off? Thanks!

PS- I searched for an hour and couldn't find anything.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. steve5280 thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty sure. 2 torx by the ram, 4 on each side of the case, and the 2 on the backside on the case. Didn't see any others. Also was follwoing the Extremetech Article on it.

4. crzdmniac macrumors regular

There are two more screws in the battery compartment towards the front of the machine. Don't forget those, that would be messy. You do have to start pulling from the back, and kind of rock it until it pops off. But make SURE that you have all screws removed first.

5. steve5280 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I didn't mention it but I did get those two other screws as well. Really weird as it seems like it is stuck. Will take another look at it tonight. Thanks!

6. steve5280 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to prove my newb status, I found the problem last night - the four screws on the bottom on the case. Removed them and everything went really smooth. Even gave myself a heart attack by just pulling the keyboard out and not thinking about the strap underneath. Fortunately, I pulled it straight up and didn't kink it.

Is this when I get voted off now?