Difficulty Transferring Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Christine1234, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Christine1234, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

Christine1234 macrumors regular

Christine1234

I got my first Mac, an eMac, about a month and a half ago, and came in here a few times for help. This forum has been great! I just got another Mac and would like more advice, please.

I went to a yard sale the other week and saw a desktop with an apple logo on it. I asked about it, and told it was given to them by someone who no longer wanted it, and it was “one of those Mac things” so they had no idea if it worked. I bought it for $100. The “Mac thing” is a Power Mac G5 running Leopard and has 2GB and 2GHz. It seems to run great, but I’m having a problem transferring files.

I have some Word documents off an old HP Pavilion running Windows 98. It was used as a stand alone for doing Word documents only, and works well for that purpose. Some of those documents are on discs, and I would like to transfer them to the Power Mac, which will also be used as a stand alone for documents. When I insert the discs, it whirrs and beeps and eventually spits them out. It plays DVDs just fine.

I put the same disks on the eMac running Tiger, and it will open the files, but when I save them, they come out sort of garbled and it doesn’t see the graphics. I am able to save these to a thumb drive and transfer them to the Power Mac, but they remain somewhat garbled. How can I transfer these documents? Believe it or not, I did try the search function here first. :)

Also, it has Microsoft Word on it, and when it opens it says it’s registered to the former owner. How can I change it to my name? Not a biggie, but it would be nice. TIA.

Edited to add: The Power Mac has Word as well as a Mac office program installed.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What a great yard sale STEAL. :)

One the 10.5.x Mac (which is a PPC Mac that can't upgrade to 10.6 Intel only disk) download the free program sharePoint to give more control over sharing on the network from that PPC mac. Then in the eMac (What is it running?) use the finder menu item "Go" and then selecting "Go To Server" and use a command, sinilar to the command (know the IP address of the other Mac):
    Code:
    afp://192.168.1.1

3. Christine1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Christine1234

That should work, thanks! :)

I'll print off a copy of this thread to use for reference.