Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewclarkdrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Hi there,

I have a MacBook purchased brand new in 2011. It is currently running 10.8.5 and has the latest version of iTunes.

I've imported many CD's over the last few years with no problems. However, there are a few CD's that I cannot import. The CD drive works, it will recognize, play, and import 99% of CD's, but 1% of my CD's will not be recognized, played, imported by the MacBook. Upon inserting the disc, I can hear the laptop trying to read it, but after 10-15 seconds it is automatically ejected without anything appearing in iTunes.

Again, the vast majority of CD's work in my MacBook, so it can't be a general setting that I need to check.

Perhaps some discs are encrypted so that they cannot be read by a computer??

I'd very much appreciate any help that you can offer.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
first guess: the cd's are damaged.
second guess: the cd's are dirty.
third guess: your optical drive is wearing out.

andrewclarkdrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
first guess: the cd's are damaged.
second guess: the cd's are dirty.
third guess: your optical drive is wearing out.

Hi gooser,

Thanks for your response. The CD's are definitely not damaged or dirty. They are brand new CD's out of the package, and they play without trouble in other CD players. To go straight to your third guess, the disc drive was actually just replaced earlier this year! Any other guesses?

andrewclarkdrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Hi gooser,

Thanks for your response. The CD's are definitely not damaged or dirty. They are brand new CD's out of the package, and they play without trouble in other CD players. To go straight to your third guess, the disc drive was actually just replaced earlier this year! Any other guesses?

Any one else?

GlobeZ

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2015
In the Vale....
I had a similar problem on a 2012 iMac and Apple SuperDrive.... After much investigation with Apple Tech Support it seemed to be a problem with Copy Protection on CD's produced by Warner Music in Germany. The only way I got around it was to rip them on a friends MacBook and copy the file back to my iTunes library.... Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.