Diffrence Between a Mac and a PC.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mankin5344, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Mankin5344 macrumors member

Having never owned a mac before I got my first one on wednesday. (Specs are in sig) I have to say I was blown away by the build quality and software.

Build quality:

This is by far the most solid laptop I have ever held. Most others laptops whenever you pick them they feel cheap and flimsy. The aluminum build material is better than any plastic laptop. It also looks better than anything that I've seen.

Software:

WOW. I have never had any problem with Vista, but there is something about OSX that makes it superior. The UI is awesome. Everything is so well integrated it's amazing, and yes "It Just Works".

I believe the premium you pay shows with daily use of the laptop. So if anyone has any doubts of switching to OSX I assure you it is definately worth the extra cash.

Just thought Id Share.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Glad you're enjoying your first Mac! :) Feel free to ask for any software recommendations if you're having trouble finding something you need.

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

So, what made your first buy a Mac? (if you don't mind my asking)

4. chinarider macrumors regular

One is a young kid and the other is a fat old guy.

5. Mankin5344 thread starter macrumors member

My iphone was the main reason. The customer service that I recieved whenever I had a problem was the best. Also the software on the iPhone is the best on a cell phone. I figured if apple made the best cell phone that I have ever used their laptops would be the same also.

6. panda macrumors regular

stunning

that's stunning man!

i love to hear happy stories. i/we are right behind ya!

happy mac days :)

7. swissalps macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of taking a Macplunge too. Have been using PC since MS-DOS 2.0. It was ok till XP. But the thing that's making me take a mac plunge, is VISTA. Hate that OS to the core. Makes my dual core desktop perform like 1944 ENIAC...allright not that bad but you get the point.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Happy days,here's aload of stuff so you don't have to go scratching around ,even tells you what the various apps/progs do,well useful to a newbie/switcher

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

10. Mankin5344 thread starter macrumors member

That is a great web site. I have noticed there are alot of good freeware apps for osx. The only app I am missing from windows is office. He Does the mac version of it run?

11. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Glad all is going well for you. I too have had great luck with my Macbook, my iPod, and even better with the customer service. Everything's working for me and can't wait to get a Macbook Pro! :) Congratulations.

Hahaha, this made me laugh.

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I have Office 2008 for the mac and it's pretty good, but missing a few of the features in Windows versions (mostly the keyboard one-letter short cuts). The big problem with Office 2008 for mac is the lack of a VB editor... if you need to to a lot of macro coding like I do.

13. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Take the plunge! I was PC until this past January. After about 10 hours with Vista, I knew there had to be a better way. And there was, called OS X. What a genuine pleasure! I actually look forward to getting on my iMac every day because I know I'll get things done.
    Do yourself a big favor. If you have an Apple Store anywhere near you get there and see for yourself. In the meantime, here are a few links:

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/macosx/

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

The first is a video tutorial and the others are text. They have a lot of good info/tips. Enjoy! :)
    Morod

14. swissalps macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links. very informative. It's funny...if someone asks what made you buy a macbook and among all the terrific reasons you've to give like OSX , Looks, Style, etc... one of them turns out to be Microsoft :)

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I keep saying this, and saying this, and saying this to people thinking of switching but no one ever understands until they simply have one in their hands. Macs are the true personal computer.

16. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Congrats, OP. Did you, or do you plan to purchase Apple Care? I also own a MBP, and after a year haven't had a single issue, but did purchase Apple Care, and don't regret it. I've grown quite attached to my MBP, and the piece of mind in knowing it will be fixed or replaced should anything (covered) go wrong is nice. I have heard many stories of people who had their laptops replaced with the current (newer) model when they ran into problems, and that alone sold me on Apple Care. :)

17. Mankin5344 thread starter macrumors member

I am definately going to purchase AppleCare. With my luck my LCD will die on day 366 of having the computer. I would rather pay the 300 now than pay the 800+ then. Quick question, say I got applecare and bought another mbp when nehlaham(spell?) comes out can I transfer the apple care over?

18. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You can only transfer AppleCare to a new user (if you sell your computer, for instance), not another machine.

19. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Hey! Glad to hear that you're loving your Macintosh man!

These things are absolutely amazing. They're worth having to tell the stupid Windows geeks to shut up (I take an AutoCAD class in Highschool) every single say.

Haha, on dumba$$ wouldn't shut up about the MacBook Air being hacked. I told him that he better not shoot his wad thinking about it. Told him that him sneering at the accomplishment was sort of a big city mayor with a crumbling old city making fun of the village by the ocean with a small pothole in the road.

Seriously, when are windows users going to realize that we bought these things for a reason? If we wanted windows we would've paid much less for a computer.

Grrr.

Anyways, congrats mate!
    :)

20. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

I personally love my MacBook and have never turned back. Probably one of the best and smartest choices i've made overall and am pleased with it. Every time someone stops by, they look at it and try it out and fall in love and I get them to convert to the mac world and leave windows alone..haha I love it.

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just don't buy Applecare from Apple. Check eBay or other places like LAComputer. Much cheaper.

-Kevin

22. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear you're loving your new Mac :)

I switch on Monday when I'm going to buy an iMac- I can't wait. I swear my PC knows it's on it's way out- it's been crashing/locking-up all the time for the past few months :rolleyes:

I've test-drove a few times in the Apple Store but can't wait to be sat here with a shiny new iMac in front of me!

Enjoy your Mac, I have a definite feeling I will! :D

23. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Glad you happy with your Mac. love to hear these stories, cant wait for mine.

Im i the only one who was scared by this title that it would be another PC vs. Mac thread?