Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kguess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
i'm using digidesign's digi 003 rack version. it works well, but it's quirky. one of the quirks i'm sure hoping i can find a way to fix. for no apparent reason, sometimes the core audio manager can't find the digi 003. the audio manager says the 003 is in use. by what, i have no idea. thus, to use the 003 again, i have to shut everything down and restart. my computer automatically shuts down each night and restarts each morning. the first time i tried to play some audio, i had this problem. does anyone else have this problem or a solution? i have followed (begrudgingly) digidesign's requirements regarding energy saver settings.

thanks.

Dr Sound

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Roxborough Park Colorado
Does Itunes open when your computer Turns on??

That error message usually means you have your 003 as your system Main Output.. So that when you play Itunes it plays thru your 003..

That is OK..

The problem you run into is when you have Pro-tools and some other Non-rewire App Both using your 003 as outputs at the same time..

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Yes, this is due to Digi's Core Audio manager only being a single client app, and occasionally it gets hijacked by stuff like iTunes (and others) and doesn't release if the app is closed.

Cycle the 003 off and on after closing the other app, that should reconnect it.

kguess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
digi 003 issues

thanks for the replies. yes, itunes opens automatically when my computer starts up. but i'm not talking about using pro tools. it's like this: i start my computer, i go to play something in itunes and the core audio manager can't connect to digi 003; either it can't be found or it's in use. other times it's like this: i've used it merely to play music through my stereo. then later, having opened no other applications using sound, digi 003 can't be found.

about cycling the 003 on and off, according to digidesign, one is supposed to shut down the computer to do this. are you saying this is not necessary?

Dr Sound

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Roxborough Park Colorado
I am guessing your 003 is always plugged in and on when you computer is on Correct??
I am pretty sure that even when itunes is not playing music its still taking your Core Audio from your 003. This could cause a problem with any programs (audio0 unless you Shutdown I-tunes when your computer starts up..

Chuckk1

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2004
Digi 003 goes nuts when i play keyboard

I'm using a Roland JV-90 as a controller. My midi "chain" is: JV-90 > DIGI 003 > Roland SP-700 > Korg M3R. When I start playing the keyboard, after a few seconds (or keystrikes), the input buttons on the 003 start switching on & off by themselves at random!! HELP! Is it some kind of MIDI control info being sent by the keyboard or either the SP-700 or M3R?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.