Digicam shooting to Digicamcorder snapping pictures...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uspcommuter, Nov 24, 2009.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Hi all,

My digital camera is on its last leg, but its been a good three years. I am looking for a replacement and I was assessing my needs on a camera and realize a paradigm shift in my pursuit of a replacement/successor.

I have noticed that the space that I used for random video taken from something intriguing to a friend's wedding is matching (if not overtake) the amount of space of random pictures I take. So i thought maybe instead of having a digicam take videos why don't I get a digicamcorder that also snap pictures.

Any thoughts on this topic from individuals that went down this path? any recommended models? I just have one requirement, the model must be upright. Any other comments would be appreciated.

2. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

When I was researching digital cameras back in '05 I remember the camera sites saying that many camcorders could take still pictures but that none of them were as good as a digital camera. If I recall correctly they said that the way still photos were taken differed enough from the way that moving pictures were taken that they were best handled by separate devices. Basically digital cameras could take movies, but not as well as a camcorder and that camcorders could take stills but not as well as a digital camera. It's possible that in the 4 years since things have have changed...