Digidesign DIGI 001 & G5 2.0 PCI-E compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by digitaldrip, Nov 24, 2009.

1. digitaldrip macrumors newbie

Hello there Mac Wizards,

Here is my question?

I have a DP 2.0 G5 (PC4200 RAM) PCI-E (Express) edition.

I'm interested in a DIGIDESIGN DIGI 001 or two, lol.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/digi001.htm

Nonetheless, according to wiki, PCI-E is backwards compatible with PCI which this Digi 001 has. If someone could shed some light, that would be fantastic and much appreciated. THANK YA!:cool:

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Uggh, the mere mention of Digidesign hardware makes me wont to vomit. Compatibility is a nightmare.

Sorry for not adding anything constructive to the thread. Former Pro-Tools user. Never looking back.

3. digitaldrip thread starter macrumors newbie

If you don't mind me asking, what are you currently using in your setup? Thank you.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Sorry for the late reply!

I'm a devote Logic user, and once after Apple aquired eMagic and launched version 7, I've never looked back. Once Logic could manage Audio files well enough, I didn't really have a need to go to Pro Tools again. Yea, Logic couldn't time stretch audio the way Pro Tools did, but now it can with Logic 9, which is why Apple is really trying to pitch the program to live artists and bands now.

I had a friend who is a vocalist and a few years back, I suggested to her (though, not without much content) to get a M-box to record her vocals, since Pro Tools was the industry "standard". But when I showed her Logic on my system, she was upset at me for suggesting PT over Logic to her, as she found Logic much more intuitive and streamlined. Lesson learned!

To answer your question, I'm use Logic 9, but I also use Ableton Live. My studio is temporarily running on a 13" MBP, with a simple 4 channel audio card from Native Instruments. I need more horsepower, so I'll be upgrading to a Mac Pro soon.

It's just that I remember too many horrible experiences with my Digi002 rack and trying to keep it compatible with Mac OS. Everytime Apple updated the OS, you'd have to wait for Digidesign to catch up and update PT to agree with OS X. It was just too cumbersome and too much maintenance to deal with.

Just my experience and my two cents :)