Digidesign Le rumors, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by offshoresa65s, Jun 1, 2008.

1. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

I'm a FCP2 user and an old Digidesign '001 user. To cut a long story short, I'm in the unique position of just upgrading to an 8-core MacPro and I'm really questioning my loyalty to Protools when they really only want me to use dumbed down hardware and over priced post production software that other audio software manufacturers provide as standard.

So, are there any Digidesign rumors going around about a Digi004 product somewhere between a '003 and TDM range?

Thanks

offshore

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

None that I'm aware of and I completely sympathise with your position, Digidesign's view of LE is clearly that it is a feeder app for HD.

The simple fact that it doesn't support 5.1 mixing when free apps like Soundtrack (well, not free but additional) do is proof enough in my book.

You'll also find your 001 card wont work in the Mac Pro, but I assume you know about the PCI voltage incompatibility.

I have the Post Pro toolbox and the Music production toolkit too, but the Uni bought them for me, they actually turn LE into a very useful tracking, editing and stem mixing facility when run on a MBP, I use the M-box Pro, which isn't bad at all for mobile stuff.

I'd pick up a second hand 002 and invest in some good pre-amps, then run into the line input to avoid the mic amps, then save up for an HD system.

3. offshoresa65s thread starter macrumors member

Many Thanks Wintermute

I have always felt beholden to Digidesign. My first Mac was a G4 Tower DP 533mhz that I upgraded to a Dual Gigadesigns 1.8Ghz DAW and Standard Definition video work station.

This was a great SD setup and provided I was content with a bounced stereo file into protools, I've got away with basic video post production work.

Call me stubborn, but I never lashed out and bought DVToolkit or Digi Translator on its own.

Now I have the MacPro I'm looking at a DAW station that will provide me with time code function and the ability to handle FCS2 OMF export.

I have dabbled with Soundtrack Pro, but haven't found it that reliable or intuitive.

I'm now looking at a MOTU 896HD with DP 5/6 or Logic 8 and an RME FF800 setup.

Considering I only know PT Le I'd value your opinion on which is easier to learn / best bang for buck scenario.

Many thanks

Offshore

4. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I'd say DP will we a lot more intuitive for you if you've only ever used PT.
    Having said that, logic does seem a lot better in terms of UI these days, so it's up to you I suppose.
    In terms of bang for buck, if you're not going to be heavily composing or arranging music, then I'm not sure whether all the free plugins that come with Logic will be a whole lot of use for you, although people say good things about the reverb.
    What's been your main reason for usage of PT? Sound effects or composition?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've tried both Logic and DP but am still using PTLE. if you find either easier to learn -- please let me know! :)

6. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Logic 8 is dramatically easier to use than it was in version 7. L8 is now designed to be a single screen UI ( somewhat like PT LE in some regards) - L7 used to need two screens to make it effective and very few people could get their heads round wiring up the environment or manually setting up channel strips for either audio or VI...That's ALL gone now. All that bad crap has been totally re-designed to be invisible, and is now not in there.
    In addition to the massive amounts of VI's, pro-quality plugs and loops you get for a very low cost, one of the main things for me is that L8 is so CPU efficient. I can run twice the number of VI's and plugins in L8 than I can in PT LE on the same hardware.

(I agree - soundtrack Pro is awful!)

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm not sure you're gonna find anything that works as well for post as PT in any case (even LE+toolkit), as Digi is owned by AVID and is essentially the post production app for the video editor.

Logic 8 is reportedly easier and the multi-window setup is a lot easier, but I hate the video editing in Logic.

Elastic Audio is also becoming soooo useful for foley and background audio design, and is brilliant for ADR sync when not using something like VocalAlign.

Seriously, if you really need OMF support, then grab Logic and learn enough about it to do the conform, then bounce the work back to PT, it's just easier.