DigiLloyd is testing his 6 core now

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jrko, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jrko macrumors regular

2. muzzle79 macrumors newbie

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

He's tweeting the test results real-time.

Edit: The 3.2 Quad (dowdy sister to the hex) might be looking like a good solid mate for the long run. The Hex for a fling and the 3.2 Quad for a marriage? :p

JohnG

4. jrko thread starter macrumors regular

So far the 6 core is about 10% faster than last years 4 core of the same speed. Is that bad?

That doesn't seem like much for a new machine. How much was the old 3.33 quad core compared to the new 6 core?

He's using 3 8gb ram stix

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I doubt he would waste his time on it.

6. keewe macrumors member

10% in more or less singlethreaded apps is actually pretty good for a CPU update like this (no complete new architecture). 6 core will beat (in a very significant way) the quad only in multithreaded apps such as 3d render apps.

7. jrko thread starter macrumors regular

So software restricted?

This i don't get about multiple core multiple processor machines - If i am running Lightroom, CS3, a video rip using handbreak, watching a film, surfing the web and emailing all at the same time (I like my machine to do all things at once) will the OS put each program on a different core and/or processor? Can you make a program run on each core? How does it do this efficiently?

I know, LOADS of questions :D

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

[​IMG]
    Have a look at the threads column. All those threads get spread across the cores.

9. sboerup macrumors 6502

jrko, the difference is that software has not been written to specifically use multiple cores . . . your OS will spread the load between multiple apps at the same time, but if you have some heavy processing (ie: video applications), and it's written to use multiple cores, it will dramatically speed up the processing time.