Digistor BluRay Drive Crashes My iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rayward, Oct 25, 2010.

1. rayward macrumors 68000

I have a Digistor external BluRay burner to use with MakeMKV to rip BluRays to my Mac. Here's a link to the model info:
    http://www.digistor.com/Digistor-External-Blu-ray-Burner-USB-2-0-Slot-Load-Mac

It has worked fine with my iMac (2.8GHz Core Duo) except that, on occasion, it would fail to eject the disk. When this happened, I simply pulled the USB connection from the back of the drive (I use the dual-USB connection to maintain battery life after the single-USB connection failed to keep the battery charged), reconnected the cable and hit the eject button on the drive. No problems, just a minor effort to work around.

However, now that I have upgraded to an i7 2.93GHz iMac, the same procedure as above will crash my Mac. The moment I reconnect the USB cable, the iMac goes black and won't restart. Instant death, no warning. It won't restart with the external drive connected, either after a crash as described, or even after a normal reboot or cold power up. The only way I can use the drive, is to boot the Mac with the USB cables disconnected from the Mac, and then connect the drive to the Mac after bootup.

The "old" iMac was fully up-to-date, running Snow Leopard. There is no outward difference in the operating systems of either machine, yet this happens only on the new model.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to have to buy a new BluRay drive.

TIA

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Did you call Digistor yet? They claim Mac support. It should certainly work with a new iMac, but if they've received a lot of complaints then you'll at least know it's a common problem.