Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrittQ

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I'm going to convert my Parents home videos into DVDs.
They have videos on VHS, Mini DV, and VHS-C... I think...

I will be using a Macbook Pro.

Is there a video capturing/converting device that has Firewire 800? Or is the way it's transfered not the bottleneck?

Can someone please give me a suggestion to what to buy? I am new to the whole video scene..:eek:

Thanks!

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
For miniDV, do you have a camcorder?

For analog, VHS or Hi8, I use my miniDV camcorder. A Sony TRV33. I use it in a passthrough mode.
Others recommend something like a Canopus AV300. I haven't used it.
Firewire 400 is fast enough.

highjumppudding

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
Get either of these...

Get a Pyro Box that connects through FireWire. I would recommend though getting a new Digital Video Camera that supports Analog to Digital Conversion. Almost any Mini DV Camcorder over $300 or $350 will have it. And the upside too about that option is that all the footage you shoot from this day on will be digital.

Enjoy.

jeremyschultz

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2006
Clive, Iowa USA
I am about ready to do the exact same thing: transfer video from VHS tapes to my computer. I am planning on purchasing a HD camcorder anyway, possibly the Canon VIXIA HV20, but it will need to hook up to my VCR with only composite video/audio cables. Can a camcorder connect with just audio/video cables? If not I have no problem buying a video converter, I just need to know which ones will work with Mac.

Thanks,

Jeremy

BrittQ

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2007
So my dad no longer has his mini dv camcorder.

Is there anyway to get all these media types to my computer with a single device besides with a camcorder? Or would a camcorder be the cheapest/easiest way? I'm looking for the smallest investment required.

:confused:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Camcorder would probably be the easiest, since you need some sort of transport for those miniDV tapes anyway, and using passthrough mode would allow you to run the VHS/VHS-C tapes in via Firewire as well.

BrittQ

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Thank you.

Any recommendation for a cheap camcorder with passthrough mode?

And do all camcorders connect with firewire 400? I'd like to use 800 if possible, if it increases the speed.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Thank you.

Any recommendation for a cheap camcorder with passthrough mode?

And do all camcorders connect with firewire 400? I'd like to use 800 if possible, if it increases the speed.

There's no need. All tape transcription is realtime, and DV is only 25mbit (out of Firewire's 400).

BrittQ

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Any problem with grabbing a cheap one off ebay, as long as it has pass through mode?

imovie

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Converting 8mm tapes to digital

Ok! I'm new at this! I want to convert my 8mm (5-20 yrs old) tapes and VHS to digital. I'm currently looking at the Canopus 100 & 300. It sounds like the 300 is better for old 8mm tapes. Any feedback regarding which convertor I should get? I'm also, curious about Passthrough? I have a Sony TRV22 (tape) camcorder & a Sony Digital HDD camcorder. What cable do I need to get to connect them? Thanks!

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I have a TRV33 with pass thru that I used to convert 8mm film to DV.
I did the quick cheap & dirty method.
I projected film on a sheet of white paper on the wall. I then pointed my video cam (TRV33) at the image. I needed to vary the speed of the projector to minimize the strobing.
Bonus - I got very authentic movie projector noise recorded on the video sound track ;)

[edit]
Forgot to mention that I brought the video into FCE and changed the speed to be "more" correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.