Digital audio for video makers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by floh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. floh macrumors 6502

Hey, all you audio experts!

Recently, I made a video on the difference between codecs and containers, because it came up in these forums a lot and there seemed to be a lot of confusion.

And I just thought that it might be a good idea to do something similar for digital audio. Many filmmakers know very little about audio (sadly), and I think it should make for a helpful topic.

Here is where you come in. I know all (well, most) there is to know about digital audio, but I want opinions on what should definitely be included and what should not be dealt with to keep the video at a reasonable length.

I have some ideas already, but I would like your opinions as uninfluenced as possible. :)

So there you go: Shoot!

2. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I just watched it, thanks a lot for it :)

It's a shame nobody has replied to this post with suggestions (At least, I can't see anything).

Oh well, very useful, thanks!

For anyone who's just seen this post, here's the video:

3. mastermix, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

mastermix macrumors member

mastermix

Great resource for those wanting to know more(MUCH more!) about audio for video where it counts the most, the initial capture:

JWSound

The site is run by Jeff Wexler C.A.S., an extremely accomplished Production Sound Mixer who has worked on many features, most recently "42".

Pretty good video overview BTW!

4. Unami macrumors 6502a

great video on the basics of audio recording for video.

danke, floh

5. floh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the kind words. I am actually not very happy with the final product. I should have cut down the middle part on digitalization. But I don't have a lot of free time right now and wanted to upload it, because it still contains some valid information.

Wow. I did not know this site, but it's actually pretty cool. Thanks.

6. mastermix macrumors member

mastermix

You're welcome.

I could(and often do) spend hours on there. Great resource.