digital audio inputs on receivers

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by elskeptico, Nov 22, 2008.

1. elskeptico macrumors member

elskeptico

I have an older Denon receiver (AVR-3200), with optical and coaxial digital audio inputs. I'd like to hook up a blu-ray player (via coaxial) and my MacPro (via optical) to the receiver and be able to switch between them, but is this possible?

I don't have the blu-ray player yet, nor the optical cable, as I'm still kind of designing the system, so I can't test it. It looks like both inputs on the receiver are simply referred to as "digital" inputs, and I don't see a way to switch between optical and coaxial. But maybe there needs to be signal present in both inputs first?

I'm a complete noob in terms of digital audio, so any help is appreciated.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You should review your receiver's manual, but usually the digital optical inputs are independent and can be assigned to any of your video inputs. On my Onkyo receiver (about 6 months old), I have two optical and one coax audio inputs and four video inputs. I can assign each of the three audio inputs to any of the four video inputs. The coax is for our DVD player, one optical is for the Apple TV and the other is used intermittently when I connect the MBP with Blu-ray drive to the TV.