Digital Audio out help on 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ARSkemp, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I am looking at buying a 13" Macbook Air. My current laptop is a 13" 2009 Pro. The problem I have is that the Air can only provide digital audio through the mini displayport. On my pro I currently use a computer monitor to watch movies and then use the headphone optical out connected to my audio receiver. My Monitor has DVI and VGA inputs, and the Receiver has Digital Optical and Coaxial inputs (no hdmi).

What options do I have for the Macbook Air for getting DVI to my monitor and digital audio to my receiver?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. ARSkemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

I was hoping to find something that didn't require a usb port, but thats not a deal breaker. Was also looking for something that was relatively portable and that looks like it should work well.

I'm going to the apple store this weekend (its a bit of a drive). If I end up coming back with a MBA I'll give that a try and post my experience.

4. SaiZn macrumors newbie

There's another thread about this and they have already tried the Turtle Beach Micro II. It works but it doesn't support Dolby Digital or DTS pass-through.

5. ARSkemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I had googled the question and only really found others asking about whether the MBA had digital out through the headphones or not. I should have searched here.

I'm glad you linked me to that thread. Its unfortunate that there wasn't a solution though. My laptop is my primary source for watching movies and I really hope I can find a workaround for this.

6. AMGCLK65 macrumors member

would this work ?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

or
    http://www.kanexlive.com/iadapt51