Digital Audio out of a Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Pak^Man, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hello,
    I have been searching the forums for information on this, but have only found incomplete leads.

How can I get Digital Audio out of my G4 mini? Has anyone done that?

I am trying to integrate the mini into my home theater, and would like to get 5.1 sound out of that for my DVDs, Rips, etc.... and also pipe my music over a digital cable.

I know the Mini's audio jack doubles as a Digital out, and I could get that to pipe audio into my receiver's toshlink jack, but I cannot find any cables that would provide a digital 8mm jack in one end and a toshlink or coax jack on the other..... any ideas?

Alternatively, are there any USB or Firewire sound cards that could help me. I found one by Griffin, but that is meant to connect to 5.1 PC speakers, and does not give a digital toshlink or coax output. Are there any out there that I could use to do this?? :(

I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks!!! :cool:

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm pretty sure the G4 Mini only had analog audio, not digital optical.

3. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

According to this G4 Mini Developer Note, it does NOT appear that the audio output
    jack on a G4 Mini provides digital out -- however, I'm not at all sure that this info
    applies to all G4 Mini versions.

If you're sure your Mini has an analog/digital 'combo jack', 1/8" Toslink adapters
    and adapter-cables are readily available. Most RadioShack stores carry them, or
    you can buy them online from MonoPrice.com.

Those are easy to find -- search for "USB audio" on Newegg.com, Amazon.com,
    or Monoprice.com.

good luck,

LK