Digital AV Adapter sucks (Xoom wins here)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Toiletpapers, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Toiletpapers macrumors newbie

Am I missing something or does this adapter give out an awful looking picture. Yes, in apps like Netflix, YouTube, and general video watching it's nice to have, but normal use like being on the home screen, Internet browsing, yada yada, it's all so horribly grainy and impossible to use. This is especially prominent in portrait home screen view. The quality is like a nintendo 64. Are there settings on my tv or something that needs to be adjusted? I'm embarrassed to even use it in front of people because the quality is just that awful.

The one thing, and ONLY thing (emphasis on only), the Xoom wins over the iPad is its mirroring output. Perfect output, full screen, everything is clear and crisp, no flaws (besides the general ugliness and lag of the device now being portrayed on a larger screen). Meh, quite upset with this ifail.

2. outphase macrumors 65816

Are you referring to the new HDMI adapter or the old VGA adapter?

3. Toiletpapers thread starter macrumors newbie

The new one, for the iPad 2.

4. Roadking macrumors 6502

I wonder if it is your tv? No problems with mine. Looks great.

5. Toiletpapers thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway you can post a picture of your home screen in portrait on your tv? I've tried two TVs and it's the same, maybe it's my wire.

6. Toiletpapers thread starter macrumors newbie

Bogus, unhelpful response? You kewl kat you...

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I like mine; however, I don't particularly find much use for it aside from Netflix (or other assorted video/picture apps). I tried playing some games with it today, but it's kinda silly since you still have to look at the iPad (unless it's a game that strictly uses the accelerometer/gyro, like a racing game).

My only gripe, and I think it's a particularly huge issue, is that the adapter disconnects extremely easily... especially if you're trying to play a game.

I'm hoping a trend will start in which you simply use your iPhone or iPod Touch as a controller (I know a couple games exist that do this... but it's not particularly main stream).

Cheers,
    KP

8. lanes1lva macrumors member

My only gripe, and I think it's a particularly huge issue, is that the adapter disconnects extremely easily... especially if you're trying to play a game.

KP[/QUOTE]

That's odd. Mine seems to hold pretty well(both iPad to adapter and adapter to HDMI). In fact it was so tight the first time I used it thought It had a button on the side to disconnect (iPad to adapter). Could be a worn HDMI? or bad 30 pin?(either on iPad or adapter)

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

The issue for me is the 30-pin connection from adapter to iPad (2). It seems to hold pretty well when plugged into my iPhone 4. It also fits extremely snug into my girlfriend's iPod Touch (4th generation). Does anyone else have issues with the adapter and their iPad 2? I hope mine isn't broken D=

10. Toiletpapers thread starter macrumors newbie

Come to think of it, it disconnects from my iPad 2 quite easily aswell. The slightest pull detaches it just enough to lose the connection between the iPad and tv, and i mean the slightest. There's nothing holding it in there, it just comes right out enough to lose the connection.

11. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

You're know you're not supposed to sit 2 feet in front of an HDTV, right?

12. Toiletpapers thread starter macrumors newbie

OH SHIZ, it all makes perfect sense now! Thanks, but that doesnt have much to do with the topic at hand. It's grainy no matter where I sit, ignoring the fact that I'm connected by a 6 foot hdmi cable. And in comparison to the Xoom, well, I could sit two inches away from the screen and it still looks amazing.

Now if someone could actually reply with their experiences with the cable and iPad 2, well it would be greatly appreciated.

13. MagnumOP macrumors regular

I have the digital adapter. It works well enough. I hardly ever use it. I have an appletv so most ofbmy content gets to the tv screen without it. I boughtbthe cable for presenting slide shows. I will be giving presentations on a daily basis for about 6 weeks in the summer. Maybe I can add more experience then.

Having said that, the colors for screen mirroring seems a little off and I think there is a certain amount od harshness to the image on the tv that shouldn't be there. I did read a review, I can't remember where, that identified exactly what the original poster said. The review said that using the VGA adapter gives a much better experience for mirroring but the hdmi is crucial for sending sound and video(obviously).

14. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

do we need 4.3 for iphone or ipad to use this adapter?

15. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

digital av adapter does suck

horrible it's not full screen unless it's a video or picture images =X

i want full screen for everything like the playbook