Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CODO36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Can I hook up my digital cable tv to be viewed on my imac. I keep seeing eyetv but I dont want to spend alot of money and I dont need to record things. I just want to watch the shows live using the imac possible? I have comcast digital box and would like to just hook that right up to the moniter.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Can I hook up my digital cable tv to be viewed on my imac. I keep seeing eyetv but I dont want to spend alot of money and I dont need to record things. I just want to watch the shows live using the imac possible? I have comcast digital box and would like to just hook that right up to the moniter.

Gotta get EYETV Hybrid to put digital cable on your mac .. the said unit is around $135 US..

Terry78

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
but not HDTV

You can view standard definition digital cable from your STB by using eyeTV hybrid, but not high def.

You can get high def unencrypted clear QAM channels from your cable input using HDhomerun, but you then cannot use your cable STB. So you'll only be able to view the clear QAM channels.

For more infor:
http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/482/

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I have an eyetv and love it butI can not tune to the digital channels at all. I have contacted elgato but have not gotten anything-can someone help me figure out how I tune to these channels? I am using coxail connection. As of right now, both the elgato box and the set-top box is running via a cable splitter. I have tried to change channels with my cable remote but still nothing. I have tried many different cable senarios but have not been able to do it at all. I know that the elgato device can't tune to the channels by itself-i somehow have to set it up along with my comcast set-top box

Terry78

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
I could be wrong but

based on reading the Elgato website infor, I thought you could receive standard definition from a digital cable set top box by connecting an analog output (e.g., composite or S-video) from the STB to the "connector cable" for the eyeTV hybrid or 250 plus and then use USB output from the eyeTV hybrid or 250 plus into your mac (or imac). You'll only be able to receive the SD stations.

S-video will be your best SD connection.

yamasen

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Trying to get my iMac to HDTV connection to work. Any ideas?

Hi, got the VGA adapter and connected a cable to my HDTV and iMac. When I did this with a PC with just the cable (no adapter), it worked fine when I hit RGB on the TV control (I got the picture of whatever was on my PC screen).

Now with the iMac Adapter I cannot see anything. It says "No Signal" even though all devices are tightly connected. My iMac has a 2GHz Intel Duo core processor and OSX Version 10.4.11. The TV is a VIZIO VX37L.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks! Yamasen

FYI
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.8f2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.