Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildwobby

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
I am trying to hook my Canon EOS 20D up to my 17" MBP. The card reader I used to use was built in to my old printer that I don't use anymore. So I am using the USB cord to hook the camera with the CF card inside to the MBP. I have turned the camera on after I plug it in and nothing happens. I know the USB port works, other peripherals work with it. I know the cord works.... I use the sam cord for other items...

What am I missing?

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Cards dont usually mount through the camera like they do when used with a card reader. They communicate directly with photo software. iPhoto, Aperture.. etc. So you will not see anything actually mount.

Kevin

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Get a card reader, they're way faster anyway.

I highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme FW800 reader, it is WAY faster than other readers I've used. Makes a difference when 8GB of photos are downloading.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme FW800 reader, it is WAY faster than other readers I've used. Makes a difference when 8GB of photos are downloading.

Another vote for the SanDisk Firewire Reader here - this is the fastest Compact Flash Reader you can buy; although it's not cheap, it is well worth the money for the superb performance you get; it just plugs into MBP's Firewire port (it can use either the 400 or 800, I use the faster 800) and it just flies...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.