Digital Camera for my Parents

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, Dec 27, 2011.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

So my moms birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas and my brother just told us his wife is having a baby so I thought this would be a good present for my mom. Thing is she is borderline brain dead when it comes to electronics.

I am looking for something under $200 that is easy to use/carry and takes nice photos.It should also take quick pictures as babies don't really stand still I am told. I have a Nikon 8100 but that is too difficult for her. I was thinking of the Nikon 6100 which is the model under mine and is around $130 has 14mp and 5x zoom. I am also looking at Sony and Canon versions around that price point. I have had these three companies and were pretty good tho Sony's memory card thing is kind of annoying.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your best bet is to go on Amazon and read the reviews. Any point-and-shoot camera that fits your budget should work... I am partial to Canon and Nikon, but that's just me.

3. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I usually read what people say on here or Cnet. Amazon kind of sucks if you don't know exactly what you want. They don't really list things by newest. If you are not careful you could end up buying an older model of what you want for more than the newer model. Almost happened to me when I wanted to buy an airport extreme. :mad:

4. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I like using Canon and as such I am biased but since you are already familiar with using a Nikon camera, there are some good customer reviews for the Nikon 6100 you mentioned like:
    Pros: Takes clear, crisp pictures, easy to use, great touchscreen, lots of cool features, feels solid, has great design, has amazing zoom capability, really nice video mode for compact camera.
    Any chance you can get her to take a couple of pictures on your camera first without her realising that you are testing her ability to use a Nikon camera before you make the purchase?

5. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

we don't live in the same state. Also the Nikon 8100 is kind of bulky and the flash is kind of placed in an awkward spot that pops up half the time you take pictures. I will go to costco and see what deals they have. I am a fan of the Sony h70 and the Canon e300 all 3 are under $150