Digital Camera Help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jbussiere, Feb 8, 2011.

1. jbussiere macrumors member

Hello All,

My father in law just bought an ipad for the sole purpose of using it for presentations (via iWork). He travels all over the world and wants to be able to put quick Keynote presentations together using both video and pictures from his current digital camera. The only issue is, the videos he takes with his camera won't sync to the ipad, I had to download a format converter to mp4 from .mov. I know when I'm not there he won't know how to do it, so my question is, is there a digital camera out there that can export a video straight to the mac and then straight to the ipad without having to convert the file?

Any experience or advice?

2. observer macrumors member

This feels like one of those things that will be easy to do in a year or two, and when it becomes easy it'll be hard to believe it was ever hard.

There are two steps, both of which can be hard: getting pictures into the ipad, and getting pictures into Keynote. I can't help with Keynote, I don't have a need for it yet. Once a picture is on the ipad, can Keynote see it?

I have a Kodak video camera, which takes .mov format. It reads in to the ipad directly, with no conversion needed. I thought this was true of any .mov -- it's .avi which has to be converted? Anyway, the camera has a usb connector, which plugs into the camera connector usb socket. However, the ipad can't read it -- says it needs too much current. What does work is pulling the SD card out of the camera, and plugging that into the (other) camera connector socket. Then everything on the card gets pulled into the Photos ipad app, and can be viewed just fine.

So can Keynote take images from wherever the Photo app keeps them? I dunno.

The other pathway is loading the video into a mac, and from there to the ipad. This should presumably allow easy importing into Keynote. Surprisingly, downloading video from my camera into iPhoto on the mac takes forever, as if it's doing some kind of conversion. So I don't know what's going on there.

Small video cameras seem to do either .mov or .avi, and you have to look at the specs to see which it is.

Hope this helps.

3. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Ipad and Movie

I know my Nikon D300s, Nikon D5000, Canon G12, Canon S95 and my wife's Panasonic Lumix all ill allow you to export the movies by the SD card adapter and they play perfectly. So I would assume Nikons, Canons and Panasonics will all work.

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I have seen on here somewhere and verified by a lady who has a Flip camera that the USB camera adapter will work with OSI4.2.

And if you can get it onto the iPad you should you should be able to get them pretty easily into Keynote.

5. jbussiere thread starter macrumors member

Hi all, thanks for the replies so far. Once the pictures/movies are on the ipad, getting them into Keynote is simple, it's just getting them in. Even the pictures I had to only go through iphoto and then itunes, I couldn't just drag and drop into the ipad from finder. I'll have to look into this connection device.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You might investigate a Mac/PC program called PhoneDisk. It allows you to mount an iDevice like a normal HD, allowing direct access to some of its internal content.

7. chou4555 macrumors newbie

Exporting via the SD card

Yes, my experience has been that all recent Panasonics should work. .avi or other formats that cause a problem can usually be sorted by searching the 'net for appropriate conversiion software, if it doesn't come with the disc. It certainly works with still photos.. and it was on the strength of their advert and specifications http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...MIX+G+Micro+System+Cameras/4855154/index.html
    that I've ordered my Lumix G3!

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

An Eye-Fi X2 SD card will transfer video wirelessly from a camera to the iPad.