Digital Camera - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by guklein, Apr 3, 2011.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I want to buy a new digital camera. I am a domestic user (not professional) but I would like to buya good one.

Suggestions?
    ;)

Thanks!

2. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Digital camera

Depends on your use. I have both a DSLR (Canon 450D), and a small camera (Panasonic SX6). I use both, but carry the small one with me most of the time. (As they say, the best camera you have is the one you have with you.) It takes planning to carry the DSLR. A DSLR will cost you $500 - $1000 depending on lenses; and you will probably spend $200 for a decent small camera. I use the DSLR for low light photos and action shots. I use the small one for most every else more and more. The SX6 is a discontinued model and has auto and manual controls and shoots 720 video and only cost me $160. The DSLR with a longer (55-250) lens cost about $800. There, that should add to your confusion.

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Could you provide some more information about what you are looking for in a camera? Are you looking for a dslr, a high end P&S, or...? Budget? etc...?

It's a bit difficult to offer suggestions when there isn't much to go off of =).

4. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, let me try...

I am a domestic user, not a professional. I like to take photos from my trips, my family and special events. I guess I don't need a camera with different lenses, per example.

I am looking for a camera that take nice photos. Not a big one...and not a small one. Understand me? :eek:

Thanks!

5. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Not a big one or small one? Suggest that Canon's G12 should fit the bill

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Based on your general comments, I'm guessing you do not have much experience with photography, and would best to go with one of the better point and shoot cameras. They are small, easy to use, and take great pictures for most people.

Point and shoot camera run the gamut from $100-$300 and up from there. You will find your search easier if you start by defining a price range. You want to spend $100, $200? 400? This will help narrow the field for you.

Unless you are looking to get a high end point and shoot (over $200), I would say anything from the established manufacturers like Canon, Nikon, Sony, even Kodak would be fine. Once you get into the higher end point and shoot, then there are great models from Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic, and others.

I would look for features that are important to most people, things like rechargeable batteries vs, disposable ones. Longer optical zooms (say in the 5x-10x range).

Look at the physical size of the camera. Does it fit in your pocket or purse (if that is important to you)? How big is the screen on the back? How are the controls to use?

If possible go to the store and check one out in person. Hold it, shoot pictures with it, look at the screen on the back, see how far it can zoom in, etc.

This should help you get started, or at least point you in the right direction.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

As long as we are suggesting real nice camera way not the Leica DLUX-5 or if you want to Panasonic LX5 is the same camera but for less money but less the impressive name plate.

For my use the Leica would be ideal but many people are happy with the camera on their cell phone. If you want some one to recommend a camera you are going to have to work harder and write a few paragraphs and list camera you like and don't like and link to examples of photos you like. Otherwise people will only tell you what they like.

If you want generaic advice then just buy the camera with the best lens. Typically that will be the lens that is "faster". Again the Leica/Panasonic models are not bad in that way.

8. c7aea macrumors regular

+1 on the Panasonic LX5 I really like mine. The Leica might be a good choice if you dont have lightroom 3 and want it. Otherwise they are basically the same camera.

9. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where is a good place with good prices to buy cameras in London (UK)?
    Thanks!

10. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why Leica DLUX-5 is so much expensive (twice) than Panasonic LX-5? Just a name or more features? I guess Panasonic would fit well for me.

11. c7aea macrumors regular

Like I put in my last post it includes adobe light room 3 which is a $300 program.

12. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

I'm on the Canon G12 side, it's a sweet camera.

13. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lightroom 3 is included in camera? Or it comes separeted and I have to install in my computer?

I have Aperture installed in my computer. Then, Can I assume the best option is Panasonic (comparing with Leica)?

Canon G12 is also very nice!

I will choose one of these 3 cameras!
    ;)

14. c7aea macrumors regular

Lightroom is mostly photo organizing software, I use it to convert my raw files too. You can also use it for some editing, but nothing like what photoshop can do.
    I think it only comes with the license code and you just download the software directly from adobe.
    I do really like my Panasonic LX5. Leica fans tend to like the Leica style more. But I really like the thumb grip that comes on the panasonic.
    From what I have read the menu layouts are different and some people say the internal jpeg processing is not exactly the same. I shoot in raw pretty much all the time so that doesn't matter to me. And the panasonic jpegs look pretty good to me. I also have the filters and wide angle lens for the LX5, which are nice options to have.

Another one to look at might be the canon s95 it small enough to actually fit in a pants pocket.