Digital Camera with Geo-Tagging for iPhoto

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnbro23, May 22, 2009.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to upgrade my camera soon, and I was looking around the internet for GPS enabled cameras, but could only find a few options that are currently available. As far as I can tell, no point and shoots have GPS built in, and the dongles that I found seem to be clumsy and not worth it for the money.

Why aren't camera manufacturers building GPS into at least SOME of their cameras? I know it adds to the cost of the device and margins on cameras are already razor thin, but I'd pay much more than the cost of the GPS chip - probably an extra $50 for a point and shoot geo-tagging camera. There has to be a market for that kind of product, right? Why haven't we seen this kind of product brought to market?

2. iBadger macrumors member

I just know about the Eye-Fi Explore SD memory card, supposedly Geotags.

I normally take a GPS with me that does tracking, load the track into the program GPSPhotoLinker and it will match up my photos to the track.

3. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Nikon P6000 does. I just wish they had built it into the D90 as well. I've been using a separate GPS tracker, and it's a major pain on a long trip to keep it fed with batteries.

4. macphanatic macrumors newbie

I use the AMOD gps dongle. The AMOD doesn't require any software to mount as it follows the usb storage standard. The pain is that you need to use two pieces of software to geotag the photos. The nice part is that it works with RAW image files (some of the solutions don't) and the necessary software is free. I use GPSBabel+ to convert the geotag log file into a format that GPSPhotoLinker can use. Once the data file is in the correct format, I use GPSPhotoLinker to adjust any time difference between the data file and the photo data. Then I use the batch process mode to add the gps data to each photo.

5. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

I use the Nikon P6000. Very good camera, I'm very impressed with it. The GEO-TAGGING does drain the battery though, even when the camera is off but the Geo-Tagging is on the battery is still drained. The image quality is infallible for a compact. Easy to use, good price plus with the option of manual focus, external flash, remote, wide angle lens & a underwater exclosure (Not from Nikon), it make it more appealing.

Using just the auto setting, images are clear & crisp. Long exposure shots look good, indoor, outdoor & so on. If you want any examples, let me know... Video is good & so is the time lapse feature.

Its comfortable to use & fun...

I went through this a while ago. It was between the Canon G10 ot the Nikon P6000. & for the price & feature, the Nikon won in my eyes. For the price of the G10, which I was looking at, I could of brought an DSLR for the price & I wanted a Compact.

Hope this helps?

6. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

As previous posters have said, the only one that I am aware of is the Nikon P6000. I was interested in getting one as a second camera (currently use a Nikon D80) and the picture quality i found was a about as good the Canon G10 although the camera overall was cheaper so that alone was a good point. But in the shops the GPS simply wouldnt connect. Even when i walked out with the camera and sales person (not that i would have bought it from a shop anyway, online is best because of cheaper prices) it still wouldnt pick up signal. also some features were a bit pointless like the ethernet port on it. just not needed in my opinion.

fairly good camera, but MOST, please note im saying most, first attempts at technology are normally a bit iffy. So i would wait about 10-11 months from now and see what is around then. By then camera magazines should have reviewed more if any have been released.

7. Krikke68 macrumors newbie

Since you have an iPhone, consider buying GeoLogTag ($5). I think it fits your needs. The app geotags photos taken with any digital camera over WiFi (only for Mac users)!
    I'm using this app for all my geotagging now and it works like a charm. One of my favorite iPhone apps.